Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Workshop on this song, Fruition: 'Santa Fe'
This song was used in the second workshop in the Mixbus Soundstage Facebook group(closed group). All references are to Harrisons consoles DAWs and plugins. Here's my comments on the work done:

Vocal: It was tricky and very dynamic. Both loud parts but also very quiet parts. To level it out a bit I used the "leveler" to take it down and more even. A XT 3D delay(slapback) almost unhearable to soften the vocal a bit on the vocal mixbus and on the parallel compression vocal mixbus with my standard setup to bring out the quiet parts and the articulation. Automation was used to get the final touch and level.

Guitars: They are great and since they sort of "talk" to each other in the solo part it was a easy choice to pan them moderate L and R. They are automated in the solo part and also so it's not hiding the vocal.

Bass: Had some woolly low end. Taking out some 60 Hz and cranking up around 640 and 3.4 kHz make more tone and body.

Organ: This was a gift to make fill between vocal and to make dept in the mix. It was only a mono track, so I duplicated it and made some stereo feel to it by using opposite EQ settings and panned the two channels hard L/R. To enhance the dept I used the XT 3D delay on the mixbus and ran it straight thru without any delay effect but applied 6 ms delay on the mid channel. Automation to get it out of the way for the vocal and the guitar solo part.

Snare: Some tweaking on the two channels and balancing them with the overhead mic.

Overhead: HPF to get everything out except the cymbals and snare hit.

Toms: Only EQing and panning

Kick: Balancing the two channels to get what I want and then the "leveler" and parallel compression one a mixbus to bring out hit and EQing to do the rest

Reverb: Two mixbuses, one for the vocal and one for everything else including some vocal to keep everything together.

Dept: See organ. I also used my usual setup to add some air and space in general.

Automation: Vocal, Guitar, Organ and some de-essing.

.mp3    Fruition_Santa_Fe_SH.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface