Poll: Do you like this mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it's great!
50.00%
1 50.00%
It's pretty good!
50.00%
1 50.00%
It' almost there.
0%
0 0%
Maybe you should find another hobby.
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daddy D Practice Mix
After car checking the first mix, I thought it sounded a bit stuffy, so I tried rounding it out a bit with a few minor tweaks.
All critiques and thoughts please!

.mp3    Kung FU_Daddy D Practice Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 13.49 MB)

.mp3    Kung FU_Daddy D Practice Mix_2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.49 MB)

Hi,

This mix is big, loud, clear and slamming, yet somehow this mix is not quite working for me yet. I think the issue is that it just doesn't quite seem to gel as a mix somehow? It's not that the individual parts are bad though, as such. Far from it. I'm not quite getting much of a sense of a band in a room playing live somehow. Maybe it's that I just don't feel that every part should be hitting me over the head quite so much perhaps?

I've opted to not to pick a poll option. I certainly don't think you should be looking for another hobby though. Almost there, perhaps.

My initial though was that maybe it's just that everything was too slammed for my tastes. I feel that the frequency balance of the parts are ok, it's maybe more the overall dynamics and spacial positioning that is the issue for me.

The drums just feel too wide to me in context with the rest of the mix. (I also suspect the toms might be panned opposite to the overheads too perhaps, not sure). Along with the really wide drums, to me it feels that there is quite a lot occupying the middle of the mix in contrast to that. The wide synth bass feels a bit odd - was this to get it out the way of the now busy middle? To be honest I don't quite understand the panning choices I suppose.

For me I visualise drums at the back, singer in the middle, and everything else panned to taste I guess. Guitar might be too upfront too.

I feel this could be a great mix with a bit of rework, and some regard to spacial positioning and balance. It might just be that we have a difference of vision for the track of course.

Well, there's my critque and thoughts. More importantly what do you think?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mike, 

I have similar thoughts about the mix. I run into this issue of dynamic gelling where I love the sound of hard hitting instruments but I overdo it and by the time I'm done, everything is sorta sounds stuck. I'm working on developing some better eq habits too. Like the previous comment mentions, I tend to be cautious with low end so things get a little crunched in the middle. I like the way the drums sound right now, I think start over and focus on clearing up the middle and gelling things together.

Thanks so much for the feedback, very helpful! 

~Chris 

I thought the eq work was fine as it goes. It's also a case of context too. For me this is kind of jazz funk, so no need to be quite as slammed. I might feel differently about a more rock or punk style mix.

I'd maybe just have a play around with the balance of this mix a bit - maybe drop the drums back a bit and go from there.

I don't know how you go about building up a mix - it occurs to me that it might be worth giving it a go starting off working on the initial balance and panning with all faders up from the off, before you get in to eq and compression. Things that are really slamming won't have to be quite so up front balance wise to cut.

Not the same genre, but just somethng that springs to mind that I thought might be useful. Check out the drums on something like Toto Baloise Session 2015 (youtube) and how they fit together with the rest of the mix. Also try the 35th Anniversary tour from Poland too - the mix on that one is even more slamming I recall.

Again, do let me know your thoughts. I'm no expert - I'm still very much working at it too.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(24-08-2021, 11:01 PM)mikej Wrote: I rebuilt the mix with my more usual approach... which included more detailed work in time alignment and phasing the drums... I also compressed with much more modest settings. I'm posting this here before my car reference ha! the walk of shame. So far, I love your critiques. I think this mix has a lot more space... and i went with a much more typical panning choice... In my first mix I was going for something a bit more dirty but I don't think i got what i was looking for.  This one is much more open and detailed. I just hope it hits in the car with enough low end. 

.mp3    Kung FU_Daddy D Practice Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.5 MB)

That was quick! Well, mix 2 is a whole lot better for me. Still got the slamming drums you like but it all sounds much better balanced to me. I'm listening on headphones now - I'm feeling the mix might be just a touch bright in the top end around 4-6 k ish or something maybe? Other than that it's a good mix! Nice job.

Cheers!

Edit: Might just be my ears are a bit tired by now - have to double check tomorrow.
[quote pid='111907' dateline='1629846731']
I think your were right. I cut back the cutting frequencies I added to the drums and pulled back some other instruments in that range as well. I added a little buss multiband compression and reverb. I think I've gotten my miles on this mix. Ready for the next one. Thanks so much for the feedback. I look forward to more!
[/quote]

.mp3    Kung FU_Daddy D Practice Mix 2_FX.mp3 --  (Download: 13.5 MB)

Hi!

I'm actually listening on earbuds right now. The latest mix is sounding very good to me. Very smooth and nice balance. I do like those kind of slap bass notes - they come across really well.

Cheers!