Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix, never let you go
Thanks for the tracks!

.mp3    neverletyougo.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

Hi!

Thought I'd best get round to checking your mix out!

Quite a good mix here - I enjoyed the listen. Vocal is nicely up front. Liking the more clear approach to the piano - I think I eq'd it more in the background. Really good balance when the (wide) pad comes in at the 42 second mark - a very nice 'moment' in the track there I think. I do like the balance choices you made throughout actually - this was certainly one of the main challenge with this track for me.

Couple of minor things I noted -

Maybe could pan the claps and hats opposite each other to balance, to get a bit of stereo movement and also keep the middle free for the vocal with those frequencies. Watch out for the transients and higher notes of the guitar in the intro masking the vocal too - you can try using just a touch of eq/compression/balance to tuck it in just behind the vocal a bit more. I think it's only a couple of spots though. I certainly found it somewhat challenging to get that vocal/guitar balance sort of right.

I think I felt the guitar could perhaps be lowered in volume just a touch (like 1/2 a db or less, nothing major) to match the balance with the piano part maybe when the piano comes in? I do like the idea of yours to have the guitar on the left then the stereo balance being resolved when the piano comes in, for me that works well. I think I had the guitar up the middle and used eq and reverb to try and keep it somewhat behind the vocal.

Anyway, just my thoughts there after a couple of listens. Nice job.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(20-08-2021, 03:18 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Thought I'd best get round to checking your mix out!

Quite a good mix here - I enjoyed the listen.  Vocal is nicely up front.  Liking the more clear approach to the piano - I think I eq'd it more in the background.  Really good balance when the (wide) pad comes in at the 42 second mark - a very nice 'moment' in the track there I think.  I do like the balance choices you made throughout actually - this was certainly one of the main challenge with this track for me.

Couple of minor things I noted -

Maybe could pan the claps and hats opposite each other to balance, to get a bit of stereo movement and also keep the middle free for the vocal with those frequencies.  Watch out for the transients and higher notes of the guitar in the intro masking the vocal too - you can try using just a touch of eq/compression/balance to tuck it in just behind the vocal a bit more.  I think it's only a couple of spots though. I certainly found it somewhat challenging to get that vocal/guitar balance sort of right.

I think I felt the guitar could perhaps be lowered in volume just a touch (like 1/2 a db or less, nothing major) to match the balance with the piano part maybe when the piano comes in?  I do like the idea of yours to have the guitar on the left then the stereo balance being resolved when the piano comes in, for me that works well.  I think I had the guitar up the middle and used eq and reverb to try and keep it somewhat behind the vocal.

Anyway, just my thoughts there after a couple of listens.  Nice job.

Cheers!
Thank you for taking a listen! Regarding your criticism, I think you are right and I hear what you mean immediately after you pointed it out. Thanks!