Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - "Daddy D"
Another 2 hour mix, staying focused on the Fun and Magical energy to the song

Let me know what you think Smile

UPDATE - So I decided to master the mp3 file. Starts around 3 seconds Smile

.mp3    Daddy D.mp3 --  (Download: 13.59 MB)

.mp3    Daddy D Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 13.72 MB)

I like this one man, good vibes and deep tones Smile
(17-08-2021, 07:23 PM)crownoise Wrote: I like this one man, good vibes and deep tones Smile
Thank you! Smile this song reminds me of the band vulfpeck, which I'm sure was a big influence to how I approached this mix. A cool idea I had for the vocals was to put a Thick plate with a very short time, and a delay of around 120ms on it so you only hear it inbetween the drum elements. And they delay on the Left guitar track is only playing on the right side, and when the vocals come in, it goes away. I think the use of reverbs and delays subtle make the song really move
Yes thats a nice trick , you can also have a reverb on an aux and then put a compressor or limiter or whatever on it and make it act as sidechain against the original vox track, then it gets lower when vocal sings and comes back afterwards, this could apply to drums 2. I think i remembered from listening to this mix that the solo sounded like eric johnssons tones sort of, like from cliffs of dover so that is what i liked the most in this mix. It feels a bit on the dull side though but it is very subtle. The dynamics of your vocals could be more altered with fastest attack and medium to fast release to bring a bit of peaks down. I think that you kept it more dynamic because of the ringyness in the highmids of the vocals right? I think automating that out or use soothe or some other dynamic eq plug could sometimes solv that so that you can have less dynamics. I also kept my vocal dynamic, but i think that is the next step for live music, to really get the volume flat even though he has a dynamic vintage 88 handheld which makes him go in and out a couple of times aswell. But also automating would be the best, thats next step for me to learn but i havent start using that 2 much, i like the clipgain function in protools but i don't own that, i only use reaper.
(18-08-2021, 12:53 PM)crownoise Wrote: Yes thats a nice trick , you can also have a reverb on an aux and then put a compressor or limiter or whatever on it and make it act as sidechain against the original vox track, then it gets lower when vocal sings and comes back afterwards, this could apply to drums 2. I think i remembered from listening to this mix that the solo sounded like eric johnssons tones sort of, like from cliffs of dover so that is what i liked the most in this mix. It feels a bit on the dull side though but it is very subtle. The dynamics of your vocals could be more altered with fastest attack and medium to fast release to bring a bit of peaks down. I think that you kept it more dynamic because of the ringyness in the highmids of the vocals right? I think automating that out or use soothe or some other dynamic eq plug could sometimes solv that so that you can have less dynamics. I also kept my vocal dynamic, but i think that is the next step for live music, to really get the volume flat even though he has a dynamic vintage 88 handheld which makes him go in and out a couple of times aswell. But also automating would be the best, thats next step for me to learn but i havent start using that 2 much, i like the clipgain function in protools but i don't own that, i only use reaper.
I've always loved Eric Johnsons tones, I was a fulltime guitar player myself before getting more into mixing. I also use reaper because that's what I'm most familiar with. I use automation once I've really nailed the dynamics down on something and it needs to be louder or quieter. I even things out but try to use it musically and give long release lines to stuff, or make transients punch out.