Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run, run, run!
I so love this track, it reminds me of being a teenager in Birmingham, and some of the reggae clubs I used to frequent. The bass line, the smoky atmosphere, the memories. Big Grin

.mp3    Run-run-run.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

notable improvement over your last mix Big Grin much better balance, much better separation between the instruments, better filtering. great work.

some suggestions based on my personal taste:

I think all of lead vocal parts weren't meant to be played at the same time necessarily... there's a comped together version of the lead vocal comprised of what they felt were the best takes from all of the raw tracks, so you could use that if you wanted, or you could edit together your own. Using raw takes together is sometimes a great creative decision you can make... the only issue I take with it is that here and there the comped vocal is playing simultaneously with the track they lifted from, so for that moment it doubles and gets louder, which is making the vocal balance wobble, and there's some stereo wobbling in there too which might be caused by the same principle in combination with any panning you may have done on the raw tracks... suddenly the vocal will go lopsided, and only for a moment or two, which can be distracting, especially in headphones. Easy fix would be to mute the comped track, spread all of the raw tracks way out, and automate the processing you use on them for the best blend. I didn't try that because editing is a weak suit for me Blush. The comped vocal is pretty tonally inconsistent because of how it was mulled from several different takes, so that might be a cool dodge of the issue if you have the patience. Big Grin

Maybe go a bit wetter with the verbs and delays? it suits the style, so it'd be worth a shot. most of the time you want reverb and delay to be subliminal effects, which is what it sounds liek you tried to do (good job!), but with music of this style, especially with so few tracks to blend together, very noticeable reverb is a good thing, just keep the tails from mucking things up and you'll be golden.

One more thing... maybe give the muted guitar clicks a steep high shelving cut around 2 or 3 kHz, maybe 3 to 6 decibels. They're a way too heavy in the high frequencies without some serious EQ work. Lots of stuff on this track was recorded with very little consideration as to how mixable it'd be in this stage, which is way they say "get it right at the source." I prefer "begin with the end in mind" myself Big Grin.

3 easy fixes and I think this'll go from being a solid mix to a good mix. Well done!

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Cheers Pauli, thanks for the comments, they're truly appreciated.

I take on board your comments about the vocals, and I realise they aren't intended to be mixed all together, but to be honest I find the song a little on the boring side, and I was trying to give it a different twist. Also, I had tried to make use of some tempo linked delays that didn't quite work out now I listen back to it. What I think I would like to do with track though, is completely strip it apart, and make a totally different remix with much of my own stuff in there too, but that might take a fair while to do, if I ever get the time. Wink