Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smooth - I'm Alright Mix (SSL G+)
Here's a quick mix I did in about 25-30 minutes. Hope you enjoy, all feedback welcome and encouraged!

(Some pillock had re-patched the Focals earlier that morning, ended up with the L and R the wrong way round, so I had to do things quickly so it would work whatever side things were panned to. Try swapping the L&R a few times to hear what I was going through flicking between the Focals and NS10s!)

Gear:

SSL 4000 G+
Lexicon PCM91 (Vocals, E Guitars, Snare)
Neve 2254R (Vocals)
Neve 1073DPA (Bass)
Focal Twin 6
Yamaha NS-10

.mp3    I\'m Alright Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.83 MB)

BA(Hons) Audio Production at SAE London
Hello Smooth, maybe snare is to prominent. At 0:35 when music stop there is something you need to damp (snare or tom) because the decay is little bit long. I like the way to not over compress and over limit at final stage Smile
Please comment my mix especially what you don't like thank you.

(19-02-2014, 11:41 AM)Rebu Wrote: Hello Smooth, maybe snare is to prominent. At 0:35 when music stop there is something you need to damp (snare or tom) because the decay is little bit long. I like the way to not over compress and over limit at final stage Smile
Please comment my mix especially what you don't like thank you.

Thanks for the comment - yes the toms need to come down - which I would have done in Pro Tools although I was working entirely out of the box for this. I agree, the snare is somewhat disjointed from the mix and could be a little snappier. Perhaps bringing the parallel compression track down could have helped (I had a normal attack and a fast attack going in parallel).

Sadly, the console will now be neutralised so it'll be back to square one if I want to mix it again!

Yes it's not mastered at all - the only compression is some gentle buss compression on the console (SSL G+)
BA(Hons) Audio Production at SAE London