Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children of No-One (another try to get your comments)
I'm trying to do my best in headphones
Please judge... Angel

.mp3    Children.mp3 --  (Download: 8.48 MB)

Hey diginix, welcome to the party.

Before I make any comments, I'd suggest you go listen to some of the other folks' mixes and put in your two cents... don't be shy, because everyone can learn something from anyone else, and we're all here to get comments, suggestions and criticisms from the board. So take a look at the 3 Commandments... if you want comments on your mixes, the best way to get them is to make comments on other's mixes.

So I think this is pretty listenable... I mostly mix in cans myself because I have an unreliable mixing space. Just a quick listen on the PC speakers, and I have a few quick suggestions. The SFX in the beginning swell just a little too loud, maybe, and those really cool licks in the intro aren't getting the space they deserve to shine, and they're sounding a little thin, probably because the SFX are masking any of the low-mids you didn't filter out. I'm also not really getting any real impression of dimension.. I'd at least put a little more reverb on your drum bus to push it back, or maybe use the room mic as your primary source and use the close mics to refine the balance. Only caution there is that you'll have to put some serious effort into going into each individual track and editing out all the bleed, or the cymbals become really unwieldy. Maybe spread everything out a bit more, too, so there's a bit more room for the instruments that need to be in the center. For all of these suggestions though, I think small tweaks are really all that's needed, because at least in my current listening situation I can't hear anything drastically wrong.

So two main things to take away from this: If you're interested in getting comments, it's important to comment on other mixes, too. Try and give more than you take away and that'll make the suggestions far more valuable. And especially when you're mixing in cans, take a coffee break, come back and listen with your eyes closed, and it'll give you a fresh perspective on stereo, verb, and balance tweaks.

Until next time, happy mixing Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thank you so much for your post.
It's really good suggestions for everyone (part of your post should be sticky on forum)
Hey Diginix, great mix, but I have a few suggestions...maybe drop the synths in the intro a few dB as the lead guitar is lost, also I would like to hear more of the delays and would maybe turn the guitars down a bit as well. Let the bass and keys through and see what you think. I think a softer mix is maybe better for this style of track, something less harsh and more intimate?
I agree with what has been said earlier. My big gripe is how the drums sound like they came from a cheezy digital drum pad. Way too much processing overall especially on drums.