Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm alright my mix (Nothing special)
Hi .
I'm very new in the forum (registered today), and in add I'm Italian with some problem with English language.
I'm a sound principiant and I study by myself reading and googling in the evening from about one year.
This forum is very interesting because I find very usefull to use your tracks and to mix it.
I've some doubt about the existence of mixdown rules like maximum peak level, effects yes or not, stereo widening, harmonics enhancement and so on.
In my mind the premastering could be -6dbFs peak about in order to leave headroom to mastering.
But in this case I did, what I usually do in my experiments that is to obtain a premastering track at -6db followed by application of a masterbus reverb followed by a little limiting enhancement to reach the -12dbFs RMS peak in the meter.
For this reason I think that the levels I applied to the enclosed mix are loud but.....I'm obviously prepared to any critic and advise.
This is my first mix with real instruments tracks, till today I did some exercise with virtual instruments.
Thanks for your opinion.
Bye
----
Today I added a new mix more accurate and more "personal".
Bye

.mp3    Im alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Im alright perc.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Hello danielbond, maybe all mix have too much reverb. I like your style to do mix without overcompress and over limiting, i think the original mix suffer of this problem.

P.s. I'm Italian too Wink
P.p.s. Please comment my mix
Thanks for your advice.
Too much reverb ....I suppose it because I apply reverb to some single track like Drums and Vocals and after I send all to a master bus in which I ally again reverb.
I don't know exactly what it's better to do....if it could be better to use single reverb in single instruments or a generic ambient reverb.
May be it is correct to use both BUT a little bit less in ambient reverb ?
Do you think this is my fault
PS: If my opinion could be a valid opinion I will comment your mixes, but I've not a couple of elephants ears so I don't know if my opinion could be usefull. (is it forbidden to use italian ?)
Don't worry for reverb is only my opinion maybe 100 peoples can tell you that is ok, in mixing there are no rules but only what you ears like and not. Don't worry even for express your opinion about my mix because i know that even mine isn't perfect, i just only looking for a second opinion Smile

P.s. we can speak Italian in PM if you want Wink
Hi danielbond, in your second mix i ear vocal and solo clean guitar nicely, but other instruments seems so far and little bit dark anyway waiting other comments. I like the idea to add some extra percussions.
(24-02-2014, 12:42 PM)Rebu Wrote: Hi danielbond, in your second mix i ear vocal and solo clean guitar nicely, but other instruments seems so far and little bit dark anyway waiting other comments. I like the idea to add some extra percussions.

You're right.....I'll check because in my headphones it was different.
Thanks
(24-02-2014, 12:42 PM)Rebu Wrote: Hi danielbond, in your second mix i ear vocal and solo clean guitar nicely, but other instruments seems so far and little bit dark anyway waiting other comments. I like the idea to add some extra percussions.

Hello Rebu.
I changed the attacchment with another one that sounds better, I hope.
In this period I must mix with headphones and this is not a good thing.
During this week end I will take a tour of the site and hear some mix trying to learn something, because I realized to be very very ignorant...:-)
Can you tell me some thread (or mix test) more interesting than others ?
BB
Hi danielbond, i'm new too here! so i can't point you in any good thread direction. I do same as you here look other thread and ear other mix to discover some tricks. I'm not a pro so hope someone here that is can give us some help.
When i do my mix i ear with: monitor speackres, headphone and my chip hi-fi just to ear different sound try to do same if possible!
What host do you use for mixing?
Understood....
I use a self assembled PC Intel I5 with 16 Gb Ram, on which I installed two OS, Windows 8.1 and Mavericks.
On both OS I use Studio One 2.6 by Presonus.
I tried other software like Logic 9, Reason, Cubase, Logic X but I prefer Studio One because has a very simple workflow.
I think that with Logic X could be easier to build virtual sounds because it supplies a lot of good virtual instruments, but I find more complicated the sequencer workflow.
My "main" OS in this moment is Windows because I did OSX installation just few weeks ago.... I would create a clean installation of S1 in order to use only 64 bit software and plugins.
After having restricted the number of plugins, I could clean also Win8 envinroment, on which in this moment I have a great confusion.
I do my mixes only ITB without external hardware and without external controllers.
I have no possibility to get some track performed with real instruments.
Sometime I use to start from MIDI arrangement and apply virtual instruments and vocals.
Sometimes instead, I import a drum loop and I try to create some song using an external keyboard connected via midi using some virtual instruments.
This site is important for me because I can use tracks of "real instruments".
Anyway I don't like so much to try to reproduce exactly the original song......
I usually use headphones because I mix in the night, some time I use speakers Yamaha HSM50 nearfield monitors.
My room it is not treated (big limit I know) and my mic is a Presonus condenser mic with Audiobox in bundle (it is a very cheap mic named M7). Also my headphones come with Presonus bundle (headphones HD7).
What is your setup ?
Hello, i do my mix ITB with Reaper and some third party plugins with my old pc pentium 4 2.4gz, monitors are Event TR6, headphone AKg K271. I've Studio One too but i use for mastering and not used for this song.
I have some outboards but not too much stuff and i use only during recording. Have some microphones and a little room for recording small groups, anyway nothing special.