Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ul-mix
the bass is out more i hope you like it Big Grin one down alot more to goTongue the mix is before mastering so bring up the volume

.mp3    ul-mix if you say.mp3 --  (Download: 3.12 MB)

Another very accomplished mix, this. Generally sensible balancing throughout, and a very pleasant and airy ambience to the whole production. As far as criticisms go, again it's all pretty small stuff. My main thing would be that it feels like the guitar's got rather lost (especially in mono), and I'd love to have more of this padding out the mix's overall tone. If you did that, I think you might also be able to get away with slightly less of the reverb/delay effects, which sound just a touch overcooked to me. It's a question of taste, I suppose, but I think I'd rather hear more sustain from the instruments themselves, rather than from the added effects.

I'm also not convinced you've really nailed the bass track as well as it could be yet -- those low-end inconsistencies are still there, and don't always support the direction of the music. Could the vocal be a little more tightly tuned too? I'd certainly have edited a few corner of that myself.

Still, it's got to be said that this is definitely good work, and certainly beats the preview mix for me!

hi mike i sent the mix for james 3 weeks ago and he loved the bass and the overall feel. it more for the artist to say to me what he likes .if he will say its not good i will fix it, its is work.
its nice to hear what you think some of it a i didnt noticed .

please (not to sinical )do you think you must fix avrything or jast enough for the track to live and be inspiring.

sory for my english it not my main language i didnt think you will be offended by it ,it was my way to say im all in and loving itWink

do know it the thing i want to do in life and i give it all my time ,i jast want to know that i cross the bridge to be a pro.
thanks uzi.
(25-04-2012, 09:15 AM)uzilevi Wrote: hi mike i sent the mix for james 3 weeks ago and he loved the bass and the overall feel. it more for the artist to say to me what he likes .if he will say its not good i will fix it, its is work.

In principle I agree with you, but remember that the artist may not realise quite how far certain aspects of the mix might be improved. It's a question of whether you're aiming for a client who's 'happy enough' or 'as happy as possible'. I prefer to aim more for the latter than the former if I can, but I realise that there has to be an element of practicality about that, because otherwise you could go on tweaking a mix forever.

Quote:please (not to sinical )do you think you must fix avrything or jast enough for the track to live and be inspiring.

My general views on this kind of thing are fairly succinctly expressed here, so I won't use up screenspace repeating them again. I agree that you should only fix "enough for the track to be live and inspiring" -- the real question is "when is enough?", and that's where I take a different view from you.

Quote:sory for my english it not my main language i didnt think you will be offended by it ,it was my way to say im all in and loving itWink

No problem -- I realise that we may end up with a lot of non-native speakers here, and I'll let you know soon enough if I think you're being offensive. Smile
hi mike jast to say in that track i loved the bass and its dinamic this is what made it to me in the firstplace so i didnt think and still dont think i dont need to do anything with it . for me its like is playing with the listener come and go if i play alot to conter it i think the magic will lost, the volume is jast right not to over power the track and still be soooooooo alive. for me this is music!!! and avryone here is playing in "full dinamic" .
and for me the ac gtr jast got in the way in the atmosphere that the song needed in that mix, in differnt balance you probably right.
i mixed this song with "alot of love". i think "its one of the best songs here"
(25-04-2012, 07:02 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi mike jast to say in that track i loved the bass and its dinamic this is what made it to me in the firstplace so i didnt think and still dont think i dont need to do anything with it .

That's fair enough -- I'm happy that everyone's mixes don't sound the same, because that's exactly the way it should be. We each have our own style, and that's good for music in general, I think!

Quote:i mixed this song with "alot of love". i think "its one of the best songs here"

Yeah, he's a really good songwriter and arranger, which makes all the difference. Look out for a new multitrack of his I should be uploading within the next few couple of months... Smile

I just gave this a first listen. I think this is a great track.
I can see both sides of the coin as far as the "perfection" of the bass consistency and the tuning of the vocals. I really like the feel here and and the bass is really good. I would, however, like a little more tuning and "polish" on the vocal. However, I also like the clarinet treatment just the way it is.
I agree with Mike that we're not all going to like the same things, though and that makes for a beautiful, musical world.

Great job UL!

Mike, The clarinet and accordion seem to be playing very close frequencies during the solo around 2:15. Any tips on keeping them from competing. The treatment in space on UL's mix was effective, but I feel they might still be more refined, but I'm not sure how.
If I were producing I would have asked the accordion to play a lower register during the solo, but.....We do what we can with the tracks we're given, right?
i dont mind that thay play in unison and thay are apart so no problum hear. by the way whats your name?
Hi uzilevi,
good balanced mix. I like vocal tone very much it has nice HF brilliance and good reverb FX.Smile One thing that bugs me from the first seconds it is very obtrusive kick due to very prominent "click". I guess that tone more appropriate for dense rock arrangements where you need very prominent "click" to cut through. In my view the main musical sense of kick here is to provide some low frequency "pillow" and to make overall tone warmer and not to grab someone attention very much.
hi sergeik thanks for posting and give me a reason to hear that song again i love it any time i hear it ,as for the bass its all about tast ,i guess you will do it differnt and that also good,the overall feel is important and not so much the choice,you can make a song dress in all kind of clothes. Smile