Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Alive (Yet Free)
Took me a bit longer than I wanted and I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'd never be -- I can get distracted and (re)work one detail over and over until it's ruined, and I'm trying to avoid that impulse.

.mp3    Mekaphil_AliveYetFree_Full9.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

Thanks for doing a mix of this song! I get where you're coming from with the detail concerns. If you're happy, that's usually all that matters (unless a client is involved, of course)!

Here's some positives:
1) The balances are good! I love that the screams sound so good in the chorus especially.
2) I like the filtered vibe of some of the screamed vocals.
3) The vocal blend is great! It sounds really solid, and the vocals are the powerhouse of the song.

Here's some things I'd fix up a little.
1) Those guitars may be a bit too scooped in the 400hz area. That's an easy fix.
2) You have more room for low end to come through. The low end feels a little restricted. +2db to 60hz on that kick and maybe +2db to 100hz on the bass and you'd be solid.
3) The midrange is MOSTLY good but there's a huge buildup at 1khz, especially on those chorus. I suspect it's literally just the vocals. Consider either eqing that out of the vocals or using a dynamic eq to scoop maybe like, 4db out of 1k at the biggest buildup parts. It'll clean it up immensely.
4) It feels blanketed. Seriously, from 5khz up I feel like EVERYTHING could come up 4-5db. I threw a shelf on and just cranked it by 5db and the whole song opened up immensely. Don't be afraid of REAL high end. Upper midrangey stuff can get a little congested, like at around 2.5khz, but that's not as much a problem here.

Thanks for doing a mix! I hope you do another Big Grin There's some good stuff here.
Thanks for the feedback! I've been occupied with some other things so I'm just now getting back to this and will revisit it this weekend.