Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown: Flames [OoF]
The reference for this mix was super loud and aggressive, so I went with that.
I didn't use any additions such as samples (a bit pointless since drums were already sampled) or reamping. What I did was applying some fuzz distortion to the guitar DIs and panning them hard L/R to blend with the amp tracks. Other than that, it's all EQ, comp and distortion. A bit of delay-verb to the vocals, mostly on choruses. 

I applied further eq, compression and distortion in the mix bus and slammed it against a clipper and limiter. 

I had fun with this one, That was the main objective  Big Grin . Tried to make the best I could, but I didn't play it safe at all. I hope you enjoy listening to it as well. Please let me know how you feel about it, what you like, what you don't, or any other question regarding the mix.

.mp3    TheBlackCrown_Flames_OoF_1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.58 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi!

How do I feel about it, what do I like and what I don't?

I like this track - my past attempts at mixing this so far all really suck though Big Grin. I recall it somehow being a complete nightmare.

This mix certainly doesn't suck and I enjoyed the listen. Big spacious drums, big guitars, big spacious vocals. 6.1 LUFS is impressive too. I thought it was loud but not quite that loud! Good stuff. I think loud adds that bit of edge to this kind of material. I feel if you can get it that loud without it completely falling apart then the mix is likely in good shape.

I have the following thoughts. (Note these are not by any means criticisms as such - hard to convey that sometimes I think on here). It's been a while since I have attempted this one and I don't really remember the raw tracks.

Not sure if I feel I want the 2-4k ish of the guitar reigning in just a touch. You do want the edginess and aggression you got. With everything so big I wonder if maybe the drums could be a little less wide and a touch more focused. I don't know if the guitar needs eq'ing a bit more to make room for some of the drums, bass and vocal. Hard to explain. I think the thing is that with everything being big, loud and bombastic (a good thing!) - I also feel it needs a main focus or anchor to match. At the moment I think the anchor is kind of the guitar, but I feel I maybe want a really solid kick (or bass, or vocal). Like the bit around the 3 minute mark I think I would like to hear a really solid centered kick drum (maybe hear a touch more low end on it) and have everything else kind of hanging on/around that? Maybe everything is just a little too spacious, and needs to be a little drier or something? Not sure this is making any sense? It's maybe just a taste thing. I am also not into this genre of music deep enough to be really making calls on taste really. Certainly I could not name any other bands that I think it should sound like. As I said just some thoughts. The last guitar sound cuts off abruptly at the 5:30 mark. (Now THATS a nit pick).

As I said I think this is really good. It has inspired me to perhaps revisit it myself, although I am trying to resist, as I think it will still be a nightmare to get it anywhere close to what I envision and will surely make me look even more foolish than the comments above Smile.

Maybe those were not the feelings about it you were asking for...... but it's what I've got this evening. (I was a bit careless earlier and got exposed to some actual daylight).

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(26-07-2021, 09:57 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

How do I feel about it, what do I like and what I don't?

I like this track - my past attempts at mixing this so far all really suck though Big Grin.  I recall it somehow being a complete nightmare.

This mix certainly doesn't suck and I enjoyed the listen.  Big spacious drums, big guitars, big spacious vocals.  6.1 LUFS is impressive too.  I thought it was loud but not quite that loud! Good stuff.  I think loud adds that bit of edge to this kind of material.  I feel if you can get it that loud without it completely falling apart then the mix is likely in good shape.

I have the following thoughts.  (Note these are not by any means criticisms as such - hard to convey that sometimes I think on here).  It's been a while since I have attempted this one and I don't really remember the raw tracks. 

Not sure if I feel I want the 2-4k ish of the guitar reigning in just a touch.  You do want the edginess and aggression you got.  With everything so big I wonder if maybe the drums could be a little less wide and a touch more focused. I don't know if the guitar needs eq'ing a bit more to make room for some of the drums, bass and vocal.  Hard to explain.  I think the thing is that with everything being big, loud and bombastic (a good thing!) - I also feel it needs a main focus or anchor to match.  At the moment I think the anchor is kind of the guitar, but I feel I maybe want a really solid kick (or bass, or vocal).  Like the bit around the 3 minute mark I think I would like to hear a really solid centered kick drum (maybe hear a touch more low end on it) and have everything else kind of hanging on/around that?  Maybe everything is just a little too spacious, and needs to be a little drier or something?  Not sure this is making any sense?  It's maybe just a taste thing.  I am also not into this genre of music deep enough to be really making calls on taste really.  Certainly I could not name any other bands that I think it should sound like.  As I said just some thoughts.  The last guitar sound cuts off abruptly at the 5:30 mark.  (Now THATS a nit pick).

As I said I think this is really good.  It has inspired me to perhaps revisit it myself, although I am trying to resist, as I think it will still be a nightmare to get it anywhere close to what I envision and will surely make me look even more foolish than the comments above Smile.

Maybe those were not the feelings about it you were asking for...... but it's what I've got this evening.  (I was a bit careless earlier and got exposed to some actual daylight).

Cheers!

Hi Mikej!

Thanks for the kind comments! Yeah, it is loud, I was kinda daring myself to make it louder, and the mix did seem to take it well. I'm not usually like that, but wth, you only live once Big Grin 

I agree about the guitars after listening on smaller speakers. I'll see if I can soften up the 3k area without losing character. I wouldn't mind if the voice takes some of that space instead. About the part in the 3 minute mark, I just brought up the room, maybe a little too much, so I'll see what happens if I bring it back a couple dB. 

I totally encourage you to try out this mix! Don't overthink it. It felt surprisingly easy for me, and I think it's because I made an effort to keep things simple and not overcomplicating it. Give yourself a chance and enjoy it.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Just listened to your mix. It's really solid and pleasant for me, good job!
DAW: Studio One 5 Pro
Interface: Behringer UMC1820 + Behringer ADA8200
Monitoring: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, Edifier R1280T
Headphones amp: FiiO K5 Pro
Plugins: Waves, Slate, McDSP, Soundtoys, NI, Acustica, etc.
Thanks, theedoran!