Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Alive (Yet Free)
Hey all!
I decided to try and mix this song. Used Death and Darkness SDX on kick and snare (nothing wrong with original tracks, just wanted to try out Death and Darkness).

.mp3    Alive Yet Free MIX 7_20_21.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

WOWZERS those kick and toms. Very deep there.

1) I LOVE the filtering in the first verse
2) The kick and snare work well with this track.
3) I think the guitars sound really good!
4) Good vocal blend!
5) THANK you for giving the vocals a great amount of attention. They sound really good most of the time!
6) I can't get over how well you mixed the screams. I sound pretty great in those haha.

Here's some stuff that could really use work:
1) The kick's 70-80hz area is REALLY overbearing. Without so much of that, the mix gets a lot cleaner.
2) The kick could probably be brought down and the snare could come up.
3) I feel like the high is a WEE bit blanketed. You could probably turn up everything between 5k and 20khz in their own instruments (like maybe 5k on vocals or guitars, 7-10k on kick snare and toms respectively, and then a high shelf on the whole mix over that just for air) and it'll sound great. That area is pretty wide open.
4) The synths in the verses are a bit louder than the vocals. It works during the filtered part of verse 1 but aside from that, it sounds too loud. This is a very common mistake I've heard, though it doesn't sound as bad here as it usually does.

I hope those points of critique help you out! I really enjoyed your mix and especially the choices you made to differentiate it from the others. Your attention to details is definitely well noted! Thank you very much Big Grin