Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Updated - "New" - Joy of Release...
Hey there Cambridge Community,

This turned into a very creative mix for me. The song inspired me to try things I never tried before and that was enriching. For me it was about making a song out of the given parts. How did you do?

There is good fundamentals and harmonic complexity on these good tracks. This mix reflects structure I heard for this song. I think it makes sense. What do you think?

Jesse Joy - Release - Master 2
Taking RoyM's advise I modified the lead vocal level to scousche and included some other unavoidable minor tweaks. Let me know what you think of the differences between the two mixes. 

Jesse Joy - Release - Master 3
A few more tweaks to imaging, balance and perspectives, mostly at the end of the song. This mix addresses weakness at the
end of the previous mixes. This ending reflects a better and clearer vision of the song's end as the drums come in. Use of all of the palette here was re-visioned for your enjoyment. And mine.

Thanks,

As always, Happy mixing

mITc

.mp3    Jesse Joy - Release.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

.mp3    Jesse Joy - Release - Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Jesse Joy - Release - Master 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Niceeeee. Great Stuff!
I really like it.
Cheers!
I haven't listened to the preview mix so I can't say how structure has or was changed. As it is in this mix the structure and arrangement works well. Overall it sounds good. Tones and balances all fit together nicely. I think the vocal could come up a bit. It comes in a bit weak. I get that emotionally should have some vulnerability but I think the performance sells that. Maybe it's a bit too 'airy'. Maybe it's not the level but size. I'm not sure.

Anyhoo, that's how I hear it.
(20-07-2021, 04:16 AM)RoyM Wrote: I haven't listened to the preview mix so I can't say how structure has or was changed. As it is in this mix the structure and arrangement works well. Overall it sounds good. Tones and balances all fit together nicely. I think the vocal could come up a bit. It comes in a bit weak. I get that emotionally should have some vulnerability but I think the performance sells that. Maybe it's a bit too 'airy'. Maybe it's not the level but size. I'm not sure.

Roy,
Good stuff, sir. If you feel the emotional value of the song would be served better by an even larger vocal, I will take a good listen to that. Thank you.
On a more general note:
I recently moved my big speakers out of my control room to enjoy a Sheryl Crow streaming show on my big screen and have not moved them back. As a result, there is low end in this mix I was not hearing and will need to be addressed in an update. Maybe I need better phones too.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(20-07-2021, 04:16 AM)RoyM Wrote: I haven't listened to the preview mix so I can't say how structure has or was changed. As it is in this mix the structure and arrangement works well. Overall it sounds good. Tones and balances all fit together nicely. I think the vocal could come up a bit. It comes in a bit weak. I get that emotionally should have some vulnerability but I think the performance sells that. Maybe it's a bit too 'airy'. Maybe it's not the level but size. I'm not sure.

May I suggest turning up the volume? Bring the vocals to where you like them and listen to the mix from that context. Any better or different?

Thanks,
mITc
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]