Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eat The Feeder - Today's The Day
Hi,

Gave it a go.

Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.0 quick repanning of guitars.

.mp3    Eat The Feeder - Todays The Day 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

.mp3    Eat The Feeder - Todays The Day.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
The guitars feel a bit loud. Also, a some are bit phase-y. Did you pan some of the amp mics opposite each other? Drums sound good.
RoyM Wrote:The guitars feel a bit loud.

Thanks.  (That's a good thing, right? Big Grin).

RoyM Wrote:Also, a some are bit phase-y. Did you pan some of the amp mics opposite each other?

Yes. 

The parts are labeled G1-amp1, G1-amp2... As there are also 10 DI tracks, I assumed they were all seperate parts and not the same part split through 2 amps, so to speak.  Are they not part doubles played through different amps then? I just assumed they were... 

How do you think they should be best approached then, in this case?

Either way, it seemed to me to be almost impossible to sort the amp tracks out to get anywhere close to the library mix.  3 bass amps too!?!

All a bit confusing really.  I think to get the widest guitar sound you really just need 1 guitar hard left, double on the right, and another up the middle?

Roym Wrote:Drums sound good.

That's something I suppose.  (This is actually my 3rd or 4th attempt at mixing this!)

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Yeah, I've been kinda poking at this one too but haven't been able to get anything satisfactory.
As for the guitars, my understanding was that there are 10 guitars. Some tracks have multiple amps and all have a DI. So guitar 1 was recorded with 2 amps and a DI. I'd treat each guitar as one entity and all of the tracks of that part would be panned the same. So, say, Guitar 1 (2amps and DI) Left and Guitar 2 (Which I think is the double) Right. Guitar 3 is just the DI and I just centered it. The amps are a bit out of phase so panning them opposite can sound odd. I suppose maybe one amp track can be mover to help the phase issues but that seems like a pain.Honestly as I've been messing with it I've just been using the DI tracks. I'm just not a fan of the amp tones.

Yeah the bass is a bit tricky on this one. It's just really messy. Sometimes it sounds like it's two parts played together. I haven't giving it too much thought yet but I would probably drop an amp track or two and maybe just keep the distorted track and DI. Who knows. Also, check the phase of those tracks. I'm pretty sure Amp 1 and maybe 2 (I can't recall) may not be fully in phase with the DI. Of course, it never is but I think it had more low end when Amp 1 was reversed.

Cheers
Thanks. Dunno why I was thinking otherwise, now that you point it out. I might possibly be able to bring myself to re-do the panning at least. I did spot that one of the guitar amp parts (guitar 6 I think) goes out of time for one section, as does the bass too at one point I think.

Cheers!
Did some quick repanning of the guitars for 1.0. Might have another go at the guitars later - I think I can see how to get the tone from guitars1 and 2 now.

Cheers!
Yeah 1.0 is definitely an improvement.
I think you can get your mix punchier by working on the open string thumping between chords on the guitars. That's where most the power comes from, imo. Right now it is loud but not beefy and a bit bright on the hi-mid.