Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Alive (Yet Free)'
May be too much bass?

.mp3    MEKAPHIL\'S ++ \'ALIVE\' (YET FREE)\'.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Mr. Loud
Imo that autotune destroyed the mix. Some parts sound off tone. Also I agree too much bass because it sounds like some pumping going on. Balances are sounding pretty good though!
Hey there! A couple of things to note here.

1) I think you may have auto-tuned it a little too much. Not sure why, either. Mike and I were fine. We avoided too much vocal tuning in the first place because we have pretty good pitch control. Also, vocal tuning on MY vocals in particular are always going to be difficult because of how much vibrato I use, inconsistently. So sometimes my pitches are really tight, sometimes they have ridiculous vibrato, and other times I do stuff that's not really pitched, for emphasis. I also do a lot of pitch slides because I like them and we don't have enough of those in modern music with all the tuning algorithms reacting poorly to them. I go between these styles. The tuning on the bridge in particular doesn't reflect the key change.

2) I like the automated verbs, the loudness, and the overall aggression. It's a strong mix, but I would make a couple tweaks.

EQ Wise:
3) I would gently high pass the mix. Maybe a 6db slope up to maybe 60-80hz because it's a little too thick in the low end there.
4) I would boost 200hz a little bit overall, because it's just a little bit scooped right there.
5) There's a tiny ring at 4khz that I would cut ever so slightly, probably from the drums or guitars.
6) You can bring up the 8k to 20k. Adding a TINY amount of air to this mix with a shelf would be perfect.

I mean, this has the potential to be one of the best mixes I've heard of this. I just wish it wasn't obliterated by the auto-tune putting us on completely wrong keys haha. If you tweaked it and did a reupload I'm sure it would be great.
Thanks for doing a mix!