Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALIVE (funsong)
Got some stuff fixed.. so v2 is up.

reminded me of this song.. so I used it as a reference... back in the 2000's before everything was so mid scooped, there were songs that were all about the mids and not as bright or as punchy.
https://youtu.be/NKj-sThK7vk

.mp3    ALIVE.mp3 --  (Download: 9.27 MB)

final version for now.
Thanks for the mix! The balance is pretty good. I can definitely vibe with it. The drums sound solid. There's just a couple things I would note:

1) The guitar tones are very subdued, and that's fine. That's a taste thing. But they seem to also have some kind of washy verb on them. That's not bad, they just kind of changed elementally if you know what I mean. They're usually very high energy but they're super dark now. Again, not bad. Just different.
2) It feels like... a blanketed mix. You could probably do a high pass on the mix a little bit (maybe 50hz)? Also, you can have a LOT more high end in there. Everything above 3khz is kinda low in my opinion.
3) There's one really intense high end element; those vocals REALLY need a de-esser. On my vocals especially they're kind of hard to listen to at times because my esses between 6k and 10k are REALLY harsh.

Overall I appreciate the darker approach you took, I just feel like it's a little too dark for our vibe. Good balance and such though!
thanks for the input aftercutrecords ...

mmm interesting I don't remember placing reverb on the guitars.. probably the cab simulator had a reverb there and I didn't noticed.

I think the blanket comes from the reverb of the vocals? I grouped them together and heavy compressed the peaks... thus bringing all that reverb more forward.. probably a bad decision. oops.

come to think of it I probably used a light reverb on the master buss to smooth out edgy frequencies. More noticeable at the end of the track.. probably used a large tail on every reverb I used and this destroyed the mix.

thanks for the input again.