Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MekaPhil - Alive (Yet Free)
Here's my mix for MekaPhil's Alive (Yet Free).

Amp settings (ToneLib GFX for Pedals & Amp Sims, RedWirez Impulses for Cab IRs):
Rhythm Guitars: Boss SD-1 > Mesa Rectifier Red Channel > Celestion V30 (SM57)
Lead Guitars: Boss SD-1 > Vox AC30 > Celestion V30 (SM57)
Bass: Waves Berzerk Distortion (not a pedal!) > Ampeg SVT > Hartke 4.5XL (MD421)

.mp3    MekaPhil - Alive (Yet Free).mp3 --  (Download: 9.23 MB)

First off, I love the level of the screams during the chorus! It's really important and I'm glad the this detail was caught.
Second of all, I really like the rhythm guitar tones. I think the overall levels are really solid, and the balance is good. It has a very mid 2000s mix vibe to it and I respect that! The only thing I'd say is that the lead guitar is a LITTLE loud relative to everything else. But this mix definitely feels like someone who's familiar with the genre to some extent!
One thing I will say is that it might be cool if the high end 4k area on the guitars was calmed a little bit. That way the verse vocals don't get masked on occasion and the guitars blend better with the bass and drums. That's my suggestion, but of course it's all to taste.
Good job! I hope you'll do more of these in the future as more of our tracks come out! Big Grin
(11-07-2021, 09:43 PM)aftercutrecords Wrote: First off, I love the level of the screams during the chorus! It's really important and I'm glad the this detail was caught.
Second of all, I really like the rhythm guitar tones. I think the overall levels are really solid, and the balance is good. It has a very mid 2000s mix vibe to it and I respect that! The only thing I'd say is that the lead guitar is a LITTLE loud relative to everything else. But this mix definitely feels like someone who's familiar with the genre to some extent!
One thing I will say is that it might be cool if the high end 4k area on the guitars was calmed a little bit. That way the verse vocals don't get masked on occasion and the guitars blend better with the bass and drums. That's my suggestion, but of course it's all to taste.
Good job! I hope you'll do more of these in the future as more of our tracks come out! Big Grin
Hey! Thanks for the kind words! I have made a few adjustments to the song as per your feedback, as well as rebalanced some of the vocals which I felt was sticking out a bit too much.

Let me know what you think! Looking forward to hearing more of your tracks too

.mp3    Mekaphil - Alive Yet Free_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.23 MB)

Sounding good! All I would say now is that I'd like to have more high end overall. Even just a high shelf on the master track at like, 10k would brighten it up and bring a bit of life to it. Maybe 4db would make it bright enough to stand out amongst the competition without creating any issues!