Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crownoise - Crazy
Nice one Smile Think i failed tiny bit on this one, got harsh...Hard thing for me to get right lowend punch also without getting it mushy, think i almost got there. Will be fun to hear you alls Smile. I might return when i got more fresh ears.

.mp3    Crazy.mp3 --  (Download: 8.98 MB)

Hello Crow.
Very xperimental you work.
That sound that you got on the keys sounds very interesting.
I really like it.
Just part of the beat is missing for me.
But you got the creativity.
Hi!

Crazy for sure!

Yeah the creativity and ideas are great, but perhaps a bit much being 'on' all the way through the track. It might be better if the mix is fairly straight, but with the effects and things added in spots here and there to maintain interest, such as the pitched down vocal double, etc? Low end is kind of missing here, which is what I think is making the mix sound bright. Not sure if you were running out of headroom a bit on the mix bus here?

One thing that might be useful to check tonality is to load up a few reference mixes in the DAW, alongside a render of your mix. Load them on seperate channels so you can level match them (I aim for around -6db peak or so). Spread out the tracks so they are one after another (when one track finishes the next starts, but on the channel below), then whilst playing you can click the mouse button to switch between them all really quickly - if you zoom so they are all on the same screen. Just click between all the tracks at random points whilst playing - only play a second or so of audio of a track before clicking to a random point on another track. You do this quickly so you get a sense of the overal tonality of each mix, without giving your brain too long to get used to it. Doing it this way you should find you'll be able to more easily pick up on the tonality differences between the mixes. A spectrum analyser on the master bus will also help. You could also put an eq on your track and quickly try to match the curve. You can then revisit the mix and make changes as required. Sometimes a little eq on the mix bus does the trick, other times a rebalance with the faders or more in depth changes might be needed.

I remember seeing a video on youtube a few years ago of a mastering engineer working this way. I suppose it is more of a mastering technique, but there is no reason it shouldn't work for mixing also.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Yea nice trick Mike it makes sence Smile Quicker swaps makes you check fast where you are at. Yes to litle bass AND headroom i think. I think my ears where bad this day i mixed this so , and also i really compressed the kick way to much... So that resulted i a very smeared lowend so i lost concept of the bass for this reason aswell. I aimed to much on really punchy kick but it got the other way around. Also i think i didnt really think the song ringed my bell so that also sometimes can be a factor for loosing concept.
(09-07-2021, 04:54 AM)Unknow Mixer Wrote: Hello Crow.
Very xperimental you work.
That sound that you got on the keys sounds very interesting.
I really like it.
Just part of the beat is missing for me.
But you got the creativity.
Hey friend Big Grin Thankyou , yes that beat needed some loving. Thanks thats good atleast, i wasn't really pleased with this one but it was fun. Only really thing that i really liked from the start was the keys so maybe thats why i really emphazised that.