Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrophy - first mix, comments welcome
Hello All,

first of all thanks to The Doppler Shift for providing this great multitrack and to the Cambridge MT people for this open and free platform.

The mix was done using Reaper as DAW and mostly UAD plugins and a few free ones.
My problem is that i only have headphones for monitoring at the moment and i have the feeling that the overall balance might be not right.
Also the mastering limiting / loudness might be too hefty, i tried to get somewhere near the Doppler Shift release version regarding loudness.

I would be really glad to hear your comments / criticism on the mix, it's hard to get better without input from the outside.

Thanks for any comments,

Ralph

.mp3    atrophy_final_master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.28 MB)

Welcome to the fun. Your gut was right. The sub bass frequencies are overpowering. Probably need to cut back in the bass guitar and floor tom to begin with. Not a bad start for headphones alone.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(15-02-2014, 04:39 PM)bmullen Wrote: Welcome to the fun. Your gut was right. The sub bass frequencies are overpowering. Probably need to cut back in the bass guitar and floor tom to begin with. Not a bad start for headphones alone.

I find myself agreeing with Bob's observations. As the lower frequencies hit the 'back-end' (mix buss) and are processed for loudness, the overall sound will become pretty grainy. Try using less harsh processing there particularly if you're running out of headroom when your combined signals reach the mix buss. I'd also try to get the vocal balance more in proportion with the rest of the mix. At the moment, the vocals are a tad too loud. Not a bad attempt though, Ralph. Mixing with headphones imposes a lot of limitations; and depending of the particular headphones being used they all have different response curves which makes the job of mixing a bit harder. I hope this helped a bit.
Thanks for your comments.

I just listened to the mix in the car and must admit that the low end sounds awful.
Floor tom, kick and bass interfere in a bad manner, i definitely have to clean up there.
First of all i have look for a proper monitoring option Confused
I really didn't think it's so dramatic but now i feel there's no way to do a proper mix with headphones only.

regards,

Ralph