Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Joy: 'Release'_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth)
Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

Oh yes! Great artist with tremendous talent. This was a joy to mix. Now, I must say upfront that I put on my "producer's hat" with this one because I felt the song wasn't coming through to the best of its potential. So, in thinking in that manner, I used some creative techniques for "ear candy" as well as some other "producer" type things such as changing the placement of the kicks, etc., and adding a synth bass, which in my humble opinion, the song needed to make it really jell. Soooooooooooooooo, I hope the artist is not offended by the subtle yet substantive techniques used and my decisions made to improve upon an already GREAT song. I've been doing this for a long time and simply mixing the tracks that are given is not enough for me anymore. I want to do something more. Making myself a "producer" on some of these projects is fulfilling to me and very rewarding, both technically and emotionally. 
Tommy

.mp3    Realease_6M.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(05-07-2021, 03:50 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

I hope the artist is not offended by the subtle yet substantive techniques used and my decisions made to improve upon an already GREAT song. I've been doing this for a long time and simply mixing the tracks that are given is not enough for me anymore. I want to do something more. Making myself a "producer" on some of these projects is fulfilling to me and very rewarding, both technically and emotionally. 
Tommy
Oh yes, same here! I agree with you 100%. This really is a great song and also I feel: There is something that needs to be set free, a sleeping energy, if you will. Also, I've been doing mixing for 20 years and where it became necessary I took over the role of a producer - however, rather to improve an otherwise boring or mediochre song, if the artist was fine with me doing so. I admit: that gets annoying after some time, but THIS here... what a great song, what an instant inspiration! I just have to do my own thing with that song!  Smile

(EDIT: I just listened into the vocal track. I wish whoever did the edit work would have paid more attention. There are some bad cuts between takes. And I think I hear a tube preamp or a tube mic. I would've picked another one for this particular song and voice. I makes the vocals a little harsh. I'm picky, I know :-) Still a wonderful song.)
Well Tommy, after listening to your interpretation I can only say, "you should 'produce' more often". I think a lot of us played producer on this one. In essence, there were only a few static elements in this arrangement. Making the most of them and then giving it some movement was a fun thing to tackle. You've done an excellent job of that here. I also like your addition of the bass line, which also frees the 'kick' drums to be used differently, which you did very effectively especially at the end with the other drums. The sync'd panning of those also nicely executed. My one wishful thought would be for the vocal encapsulation to be a bit more present over all. I felt it needed to poke it's head above the clouds in some places, if you catch my meaning. Still, a great go at this. I think the artist would approve or at least follow your suggestions.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-07-2021, 02:24 PM)Mansardian Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 03:50 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

I hope the artist is not offended by the subtle yet substantive techniques used and my decisions made to improve upon an already GREAT song. I've been doing this for a long time and simply mixing the tracks that are given is not enough for me anymore. I want to do something more. Making myself a "producer" on some of these projects is fulfilling to me and very rewarding, both technically and emotionally. 
Tommy
Oh yes, same here! I agree with you 100%. This really is a great song and also I feel: There is something that needs to be set free, a sleeping energy, if you will. Also, I've been doing mixing for 20 years and where it became necessary I took over the role of a producer - however, rather to improve an otherwise boring or mediochre song, if the artist was fine with me doing so. I admit: that gets annoying after some time, but THIS here... what a great song, what an instant inspiration! I just have to do my own thing with that song!  Smile

(EDIT: I just listened into the vocal track. I wish whoever did the edit work would have paid more attention. There are some bad cuts between takes. And I think I hear a tube preamp or a tube mic. I would've picked another one for this particular song and voice. I makes the vocals a little harsh. I'm picky, I know :-) Still a wonderful song.)
Interesting thought on the vocal mic as it drove my decision into using the Lindell Neve channel strip on all the vocals.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(30-07-2021, 05:03 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Well Tommy, after listening to your interpretation I can only say, "you should 'produce' more often". I think a lot of us played producer on this one. In essence, there were only a few static elements in this arrangement. Making the most of them and then giving it some movement was a fun thing to tackle. You've done an excellent job of that here. I also like your addition of the bass line, which also frees the 'kick' drums to be used differently, which you did very effectively especially at the end with the other drums. The sync'd panning of those also nicely executed. My one wishful thought would be for the vocal encapsulation to be a bit more present over all. I felt it needed to poke it's head above the clouds in some places, if you catch my meaning. Still, a great go at this. I think the artist would approve or at least follow your suggestions.

---------------------
Wow, thanks very much for that review of my mix. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, I spend so much time on the music in some of these, that the vocal/s is/are the last thing I do. But, if I do that when my ears are shot and/or I'm too tired, then they don't get the same time element of care that they certainly deserve. I'll probably go back into this mix to correct those things you mentioned, if I can get the time. I'm kinda time-stretched (pun intended....lol) right now in my life. 
Tom P.S. Did you do a mix on this yet? If so, please reply with link. thanks.
Tommy,
Getting lost in a series of mix iterations for these songs is a trap sometimes. I find myself going back after a week away from the console. Sometimes an external trigger puts me back into a recent mix with new ideas. This one was from the Waves CLA Nx plugin. Downloaded the demo, and did like the response it has in headphones, when you must mix on them. Unfortunately it crashed and had to be removed, but its $29 US if you buy it today...yada yada yada.

If we were getting paid for these mixes would we treat them with the same passion?

https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=39890
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Quote:Interesting thought on the vocal mic as it drove my decision into using the Lindell Neve channel strip on all the vocals.
Sure, why not? The Lindell Neve is a nice strip!
(What I meant was the original front end when the track was recorded.)
(30-07-2021, 06:14 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Tommy,
Getting lost in a series of mix iterations for these songs is a trap sometimes. I find myself going back after a week away from the console. Sometimes an external trigger puts me back into a recent mix with new ideas. This one was from the Waves CLA Nx plugin. Downloaded the demo, and did like the response it has in headphones, when you must mix on them. Unfortunately it crashed and had to be removed, but its $29 US if you buy it today...yada yada yada.

If we were getting paid for these mixes would we treat them with the same passion?

https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=39890

---------------------
Well, I don't look at it as a trap as much as I see it as a way of temporarily removing yourself from a mix, for a time, and then getting back to it with fresh ears, etc. :-) Tom