Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mekaphil: Alive (Yet Free)
Hey everyone, 

Had a blast mixing this song! I hope I did the song justice lol.

I have 2 versions of the song let me know what you think  Big Grin

.mp3    Mekaphil_MatserRB01_06302021.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

.mp3    Mekaphil_MatserRB02_07012021.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

Hey man! I really like your mix. There's a lot about it that's good, some things that are great, and a couple of points I'd like to see improved upon.
First, the great:
- The Intro Hits. The Kick, snare, toms, and cymbals are all very audible.
-The guitar tones are super thick and fun. I particularly like the more hard rock approach you took to them
-The Vocal mix is FANTASTIC. I love how the vocals and backgrounds sound. You definitely paid attention to the importance of the chorus screams and the blending of the variety of vocal styles.
-You captured the feel really well! This is an extremely solid blend of proper levels, strong tones, and a focus on the aspects that matter WHEN they matter. Good job!

Now for the things I'd like to see improved:
-The overall sound is very heavily 2-4k focused. It creates an almost scooped sounding overall mix
-The kick, bass, and guitars all take up a LOT of space in the 100hz to 200hz area and cleaning the up would very easily open up some space in the mids right above that area. In other words, the bass and kick in particular don't feel like they get their own space and that becomes more prevalent when the toms hit.

Smoothing out those harsher frequencies in like, the 3k region and carving a little more space in the sub 250hz areas for each individual instrument to shine may take this from a really good mix to a GREAT mix! Let me know what you think, or if I'm off base.

Thank you so much for taking the time to mix this! I really really enjoyed it Big Grin
(02-07-2021, 02:42 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Hey man! I really like your mix. There's a lot about it that's good, some things that are great, and a couple of points I'd like to see improved upon.
First, the great:
- The Intro Hits. The Kick, snare, toms, and cymbals are all very audible.
-The guitar tones are super thick and fun. I particularly like the more hard rock approach you took to them
-The Vocal mix is FANTASTIC. I love how the vocals and backgrounds sound. You definitely paid attention to the importance of the chorus screams and the blending of the variety of vocal styles.
-You captured the feel really well! This is an extremely solid blend of proper levels, strong tones, and a focus on the aspects that matter WHEN they matter. Good job!

Now for the things I'd like to see improved:
-The overall sound is very heavily 2-4k focused. It creates an almost scooped sounding overall mix
-The kick, bass, and guitars all take up a LOT of space in the 100hz to 200hz area and cleaning the up would very easily open up some space in the mids right above that area. In other words, the bass and kick in particular don't feel like they get their own space and that becomes more prevalent when the toms hit.

Smoothing out those harsher frequencies in like, the 3k region and carving a little more space in the sub 250hz areas for each individual instrument to shine may take this from a really good mix to a GREAT mix! Let me know what you think, or if I'm off base.

Thank you so much for taking the time to mix this! I really really enjoyed it Big Grin
Hey  man,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and give me your thoughts on this mix! After listening again to the track, I totally agree, so here is my second attempt; let me know what you think. I also want to say again thank you for taking the time and giving me your thoughts and suggestions; it helped me put the mix into perspective.
Great song, by the way!
Hey! I listened to your track and the ONLY thing I find lacking is, I'd just want some more Sub frequencies (a boost at 60hz would definitely make it more impactful) and... well, it needs more high end. There doesn't seem to be much going on over 6k. If you literally put like a 10khz shelf on the master bust and just boosted it till it sounded great, it would open up the WHOLE mix! The mid range sounds very nice though, and that's where the meat and potatoes is. Good job again! I just feel like a tiny sub boost (maybe bass harmonic a la RBass or Maxxbass) and an air band shelf and BOOM it's perfect!
I hope that's not too frustrating haha. Feel free to ignore my critiques here, it's purely a taste thing. But most professional mixes DO have a lot more air here.
Thank you again for mixing! I've really enjoyed your take on the track.