Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix
Hi all,
Here is my mix of Daisy, Daisy. As always, feedback/comments/criticisms are welcome and encouraged!
A specific question though: I tried to reach a good balance in both Mono and Stereo here, and when I get a good balance in Stereo, then listen in Mono, the rhythm guitars step way back and the vocals step forward. If I then balance it in Mono and then go back to Stereo the vocals back up into the texture and the guitars fill out (too much). Is this just something that you have to find a happy medium and live with, or is it something beyond my knowledge and skill? Thanks for your help here, and thanks for listening!

.mp3    Daisy Daisy.mp3 --  (Download: 5.03 MB)

Great Job Big Grin !
Really struggled with this one !
Had a little play around with this a while ago and it's still sitting unfinished ,listening to your mix inspired me to have another try !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks Don,
I really had a great time mixing this one. It was an experiment using the new plugin suite that came with my interface, so I made myself mix with only new plugs. This was a great learning experience. The tune is fun also, that awesome punk sound I remember from shows in my youth. I did make the guitar solo much wider than I thought appropriate for the genre/song, but that also was an experiment with new plugs. I look forward to hearing your mix!

(14-02-2014, 09:33 AM)thedon Wrote: Great Job Big Grin !
Really struggled with this one !
Had a little play around with this a while ago and it's still sitting unfinished ,listening to your mix inspired me to have another try !

Hi,
when you downmix to mono, you lose -3dB off stuff panned to the sides....which makes material panned center seemingly stand out more. if you are looking for mono compatibility, don't pan critical instruments wide. if you want some idea of how the club brigade achieve this, i recommend you get hold of some Miss Kittin stuff...stereo joy, mono power. the general rule of thumb is: the higher the frequency, the wider you can pan it. apply this idea to your mixes in general and you will be on the right road.

have fun Wink
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
When you have two guitars with the same tone playing the same part, you will probably have phase cancellation and frequency masking. Panning the parts seems to make it sound better because the competing parts each have their own speaker, but there is a way to make them sound good in stereo and mono while keeping their place in the mix.

I call it opposite EQ. Place a multiband EQ on both guitars. On the first guitar, boost the gain on a mid-range band by 4-6 dB, narrow the Q and sweep the frequency around until you find a spot that sounds cool. Bring the boost down to 2-3 dB and take note of the frequency you chose. Now pull up the EQ on the OTHER guitar. Place a band at the same frequency with the same Q, but CUT the gain by 2-3 dB. This gives the guitar it's own place in the spectrum.

I do this twice per guitar so that each one has a boost area and a cut area. Usually one is "throaty" boosting around 400 hz, the other is "bitey" boosted around 2khz, and they each cut where the other is boosting.

Also, make sure you are hi-pass filtering everything except bass and kick drum. You will get a lot of clarity just doing that. Keep mixing in mono, it is a great way to solve any phase problems before you start panning. Smile
Thanks man! This is great feedback, and just what I love to get here: great ideas and criticism. Thanks for listening, and I'll try and return the favor when I get a chance.

(08-05-2014, 10:01 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Hi,
when you downmix to mono, you lose -3dB off stuff panned to the sides....which makes material panned center seemingly stand out more. if you are looking for mono compatibility, don't pan critical instruments wide. if you want some idea of how the club brigade achieve this, i recommend you get hold of some Miss Kittin stuff...stereo joy, mono power. the general rule of thumb is: the higher the frequency, the wider you can pan it. apply this idea to your mixes in general and you will be on the right road.

have fun Wink

Thanks!!
Some great ideas!! I do use 'opposite EQ' to carve out space for different instruments, and have used it once or twice in the manner you have outlined. I haven't thought to use it regularly though, and you snapped me back to that way of thinking with your reminder -- so thanks again!! When I get a chance I'll try and give some of your mixes a listen.

(21-05-2014, 06:42 PM)djfunkymatt Wrote: When you have two guitars with the same tone playing the same part, you will probably have phase cancellation and frequency masking. Panning the parts seems to make it sound better because the competing parts each have their own speaker, but there is a way to make them sound good in stereo and mono while keeping their place in the mix.

I call it opposite EQ. Place a multiband EQ on both guitars. On the first guitar, boost the gain on a mid-range band by 4-6 dB, narrow the Q and sweep the frequency around until you find a spot that sounds cool. Bring the boost down to 2-3 dB and take note of the frequency you chose. Now pull up the EQ on the OTHER guitar. Place a band at the same frequency with the same Q, but CUT the gain by 2-3 dB. This gives the guitar it's own place in the spectrum.

I do this twice per guitar so that each one has a boost area and a cut area. Usually one is "throaty" boosting around 400 hz, the other is "bitey" boosted around 2khz, and they each cut where the other is boosting.

Also, make sure you are hi-pass filtering everything except bass and kick drum. You will get a lot of clarity just doing that. Keep mixing in mono, it is a great way to solve any phase problems before you start panning. Smile