Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nova-One Studio - Four Graham
Hi,

My attempt at this one.

Cheers!

.mp3    Nova One Studio - Four Graham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.05 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I really like the vocals! I feel like the drums kind of get buried a bit by the low mids and a high mid boost. In other words, they feel ever so slightly obscured. I think the best thing would be to carve out some of that a 2k to 8k from maybe the cymbals, guitars, and vocals to make it so that the snare and kick pop a little more. This mix is one that's best focused on the vocals though, because they're lovely. So I think you did a really good job there. The overall balance is really good the majority of the time. The only thing I would say against that, though, is the second verse. The guitars feel a little too loud, which takes away from the part that comes after. It's okay for the guitars to be automated down a bit.
Funny enough, this song has always reminded of an earlier era of Escape The Fate, which is pretty grungy as far as production goes. So I think there's definitely tons of room for aesthetic choices like saturation on the snare and some angry compression on the background vocals and such.
It's definitely good though. I like it. It's a solid mix. There's just a couple of little things that would be fixed with either a smidgeon of EQ, maybe some saturation, and some automation!
Hi!

Appreciate you checking it out.

I struggled to get anything in the way of punch out of the kick and snare. Maybe should have added some samples, but felt they were kind of ok in the mix. I didn't get the toms that well defined either in hindsight. Was fun panning the guitars and trying to get them somewhat balanced in the stereo field.

I shall have to revisit this and try some saturation on the drums and and also try making room for them with eq as you suggest. I'll also try lowering the guitars in the second verse too. I get what you mean about that move adding impact to the next part.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!