Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Who? 1 Wall Studio Mix
Well, I did a very not good mix of this in April of 2017 and decided not to upload it. At the time, I was frustrated. Now, I love the challenge that some of these tracks presented. Let me know what you think!

.mp3    LastLegacy_WhosWhoinHell 1WS 2021 Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Hi!

To be honest I don't understand much of it beyond the first 16 seconds Big Grin.

As you know I don't have much of a clue with this genre. However, I have listened through the whole mix a fair few times (on earbuds and monitors) and think that you've done a great mix here. I enjoyed the listen anyway. Everything seems to have the right shape, width and impact.

Not sure I will be attempting this any time soon myself, though who knows?

I still need to get to grips with that Darkride track first....

Yeah I think you have to view the frustration as the challenge in itself. You have just got to keep hard at it and figure out how to get things working and keep moving forwards. All the small breakthroughs really do start to add up over time. Well, hopefully they do. Actually - being able to realise when things aint right and need work is a big thing in itself, let alone figuring out how to go about the fixes...

Hmm, maybe a bit philosophical there for a Thursday, but hey.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(17-06-2021, 08:03 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

To be honest I don't understand much of it beyond the first 16 seconds Big Grin.

As you know I don't have much of a clue with this genre.  However, I have listened through the whole mix a fair few times (on earbuds and monitors) and think that you've done a great mix here.  I enjoyed the listen anyway.  Everything seems to have the right shape, width and impact.

Not sure I will be attempting this any time soon myself, though who knows?

I still need to get to grips with that Darkride track first....

Yeah I think you have to view the frustration as the challenge in itself.  You have just got to keep hard at it and figure out how to get things working and keep moving forwards.  All the small breakthroughs really do start to add up over time.  Well, hopefully they do.  Actually - being able to realise when things aint right and need work is a big thing in itself, let alone figuring out how to go about the fixes...

Hmm, maybe a bit philosophical there for a Thursday, but hey.

Cheers!
It may be a tad philosophical for a Thursday, but that's why I'm replying on a Sunday! Haha I appreciate the commentary, and I agree wholeheartedly with the philosophy of small decisions building to become stronger foundations for a solid mix. 

I have decidedly always wanted to make UNIQUE mixes, but the problem with that is that I needed to be able to make GOOD mixes first before I could do anything I would consider some combination of both haha. Coming to grips with Dark Ride is easier, in my opinion, because the tracks have ALWAYS sounded good by default. Dark Ride have a strong vision for how their tracks sound and that's clear in their production style. It makes "mixing" feel more like "completing", as opposed to some mixes like this one where it feels like you have way more of a creative input in how the track turns out. 

The breakdown at the end, for example, felt like it needed the high sizzle from the guitar tone to come BACK in, and for the whole mix to be aggressively clipped until it was too loud. Why? Because it's an ending breakdown. Go out with a bang! That's how it felt, at least. If you do / did a mix of this track, I'd love to give some feedback!