Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rainy day II- Cotton Drifting
feedback will be appreciated!

.mp3    rainyday.mp3 --  (Download: 12.21 MB)

Boy have I come to hate this song, I can't believe people are still practicing on it! (I'm the creator). There are things I like much and don't like much in your mix.

Cons:
1) There's too much bass on the vocals in the beginning. Did you add a low shelf? I would suggest bringing it down just a tad. A little bit is good though because it is supposed to be more up close and then it pulls away as the backing vocals swell at the end of the part. I like that you automated some reverb though to animate that though I think a different reverb should be used. I don't know totally what the best way to describe what I have in mind but a shorter, denser reverb I guess? Maybe just lowering the volume of the reverb would help a bit? It just seems too wacky and noticeable. If you're interested in revisiting your mix, I'd play around with high-cutting more, lowering the level, or trying different reverb types to get it to sit a bit better.
2) The drums in the intro were me being impatient and should be cut out.
3) The delay on the right-hand guitar in the 1st part is too much in my opinion. Maybe it would sound good at a lower level but as it is I think it's distracting.
4) This is a bit of personal preference but the yells at the end are absolutely terrible (and it hurt like hell!). I distorted the crap out of them in my mix to cover up how bad it sounds and I suggest that for anyone attempting this song.

Pros:
1) The tonality sounds great. I like the way yours sounds better than mine. I didn't know how to handle the mid range frequencies when I made this song and I cut the crap out of them which made for a really thin mix and I don't think yours suffers from that issue.
2) I really like the effect you put on the electric guitar chords in the 2nd part, it sounds cool.
3) Your version of the drums sounds punchier than mine and that's nice.

Overall I think you did a great job. This was an amateur recording of an amateur song and I don't think I gave you lots of quality stuff to work with so hell yeah, man, good work. I'd pick most aspects of your mix over mine. Thanks for giving it a shot though being reminded that this exists is a bit painful Big Grin