Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: APZX - Amalgamize
Just discovered that APZX is a member here. Whenever I discover that an artist is keeping an eye on their work here I like to post whatever I have by that artist; my philosophy is that no one is better qualified to judge my mixes than the artists that created the multitracks. Wink

With that in mind, here's my mix of "Amalgamize" for APZX (and everyone else Wink) to peruse. FYI, I no longer have the original projects so while I welcome your input on what I could have done differently I won't be able to implement your suggestions. Sorry about that; I have limited storage space so I deleted a lot of my projects, particularly of any mixes which I was already satisfied with. Blush

What I really like about APZX's work is their synth sounds are so reminiscent of the Sound Interface Device (SID) chip sound in the old Commodore 64; I used to love that sound growing up. Every time I listen to one of their works it brings back a wave of nostalgia for me. Cool

.m4a    27 Amalgamize 2.m4a --  (Download: 17.53 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
You know I rather like this mix. Compared to the original it is very dry, just curious if you remember but that reverb you used in the beginning was it a plate style by chance? Cause I just love the digitalness of it! I'm weird and like very characterful reverbs. Anyway, I really like the layering you did in the mix. Really great job of creating a more layered texture. The only thing I have a complaint about is the upper harmonics on the bass. I wish there were more.

Fun fact about the original track. It was composed completely with a single VST synthesizer, Poly-Ana.

I don't come here as often as I should. But I do pop my head in from time to time.
(11-02-2014, 08:38 AM)APZX Wrote: You know I rather like this mix. Compared to the original it is very dry . . .

That was the sound I was going for; I decided to keep the reverb effects subtle so it sounded more like the old Commodore 64 games I grew up with. Wink

(11-02-2014, 08:38 AM)APZX Wrote: . . . just curious if you remember but that reverb you used in the beginning was it a plate style by chance? Cause I just love the digitalness of it!

No, I'm sorry I don't remember. I can tell you, though, that my only mixing tools (in large part due to budget limitations) are GarageBand and Audacity, and I use Audacity mostly for the final mastering; whatever reverb I used was either a stock GarageBand presets or a modification of one. I usually start with GarageBand's presets then, if I don't find anything which has an effect I like, then I either modify a preset or build an effect from scratch. Smile

(11-02-2014, 08:38 AM)APZX Wrote: The only thing I have a complaint about is the upper harmonics on the bass. I wish there were more.

As a matter of taste I do tend to prefer deeper bass, and this was one of my earliest mixes so I wasn't as experienced in balancing EQ as I am now. Wink

(11-02-2014, 08:38 AM)APZX Wrote: Fun fact about the original track. It was composed completely with a single VST synthesizer, Poly-Ana.

Which might explain why it sounds so much like a vintage 80s computer. A sound I like. Big Grin

(11-02-2014, 08:38 AM)APZX Wrote: I don't come here as often as I should. But I do pop my head in from time to time.

Well, I hope you get a chance to take a listen to my mix of Lacuna soon. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Hey John.

I like your treatment of the various upper range instruments and feel they balance very well together. The send effects are also very well contained and leave plenty of space in the mix... it's a very "breathable" mix, which I like quite a bit. Sounds like there's some interesting autopan stuff going on with a couple of the arps, too. Cool Big Grin

Interesting choices on which parts to bring forward in the mix. Unconventional in some ways, but very nice on the ears and refreshing after hearing my very different mix over and over again Tongue

My main quibble is that it's very, very light on bass. If that's your artistic intention, I dig, but I think listeners of this genre generally want quite a bit more.

Great work Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(19-04-2014, 02:38 AM)pauli Wrote: My main quibble is that it's very, very light on bass. If that's your artistic intention, I dig, but I think listeners of this genre generally want quite a bit more.

Really? I thought the bass was pretty rich myself, but admittedly I didn't want to hammer it too hard since, as I mentioned to APZX earlier, I was going for something reminiscent of the old Commodore 64 video game music here. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Which I dig completely, and the material us great for that. It's tough to know what to reference in a song like this, but I personally went with the blade runner soundtrack by vangelis, and added lots of bass to make it more competitive with current trance styles. I think you did a great job considering your goals.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!