Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
redwood14 mix
Hey guys, new to the forum, just wanted to say it's a great place and I've already learned a lot, and thank you Mike for taking the time to lend your advice and expertise.

Anyway here's my mix, my 2nd mix ever, hope you like it. Would love some feedback.

.mp3    Dead roses mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.65 MB)

The mix in general feels quite narrow to me, somehow, so that the slide interjections and some of the cymbals/tom hits feel rather jarring. I'd be inclined to paint out to the edges more with effects in particular (which seem pretty thin on the ground in general) to 'include' the slide more within the overall presentation.

Speaking of effects, there's precious little 'blend' to speak of, and my next move with this mix in general would be to experiment with some short reverbs in particular to get everything feeling like it's all playing at once, and that the different instruments have appropriate front-back perspectives relative to each other. Notice, for example, how the snare is quite far back, whereas the toms and cymbals are right up front.
Thanks for the feedback Mike! I definitely hear what you're saying in regards to the front-back perspectives of everything. I was trying to limit the reverb because I thought this track sounded "right" pretty dry, but I wasn't really thinking of the reverb as a tool for depth perception/blend. I guess even small amounts or reverb could go a long way in that respect. Cheers!