Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Eliza Jane - James May (tape !.. yeah baby !)
People still record to tape [Image: biggrin.gif] .. wondering what kinda tape machine it was.. James ??

As James has stated,
I definitely took the opportunity to make some artistic arrangement decisions.. hope you guys like the mix

.mp3    Eliza Jane - James May.mp3 --  (Download: 11.83 MB)

This sounds pretty good! You let the instruments keep their warmth and refrained from overprocessing. You also made some nice arrangement decisions. That mandolin was overplaying quite a lot and you cleaned up that nicely. I think the vocals and the bass are a bit too loud and the sibilance need some control. I think some automation could help bring out fills and solos in the mandolins and steel guitar.

In general, I think the mix has really nice tone, but could use some more focus.
thanx for feedback Frej

It's not a unfocused mix though.. ?
the musical arrangement could of used a bit more focus, in my opinion

There is quite a bit of processing to achieve my mix.. the trick is to making it sound fairly transparent, and strike that balance to staying out any weird sonic artifacts, created by plugins and such..

I did spend sometime on the bass guitar, making sure that it carries all the way through the song..
I feel like it's the right part (100% of it) all the way through this recording and it's showcasing a great performance.. they should've gave him (or her) a lead bass solo, lmao

I did brighten up the vocals a bit.. maybe my speaker monitors are too dark sounding for referencing sibilance ?
or.. my 50 year old ears are hearing it differently ?