Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Coltraine: 'That's How I Got To Memphis'
This was an interesting tune with some challenging aspects.

The drums were fairly easy to mix apart from the snare which requiered some tweaking to get the sustain and ring I was after.
I felt the guitars were recorded with too much distortion which made them difficult to place. I reamped the 2nd Guitars with a free but passable amp sim and muted them in parts of the song to better contrast different sections.

Vocals were very dynamic and sung nicely but had quite a lot of proximity effect going on aswell as having some wierd metallic sounding frequencies.

Let me know what you think of my mix!

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    ChrisColtraine_ThatsHowIGotToMemphis_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.46 MB)

Hi Lukas. Good job pal.
I like you dry version. The is only one thing for me, i perceive that the side guitars have much presence and in some points even have more presence than the lead guitar and the drums (maybe the subject of the drums it's just me, 'cos i like to feel the groove of the track) . I think is a good mix.
Keep it up.
Cheers Pal!
Hi!

Yes, a good effort here. I agree with Unknow Mixer regarding the guitar. I feel some automation of the vocals and guitars throughout the track, with an ear on the overall balance should do the trick here?

The mix does feel just a touch too dry at the start, but it didn't bother me so much as the track progresses. Not sure if some very subtle overall reverb would do the trick, I think it just needs just a tiny amount more ambience for me to put everything in the same space, so to speak?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!