Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enjoyable trax
Here's my first go at this song. 

There's really not much to say, it's pretty straight forward. 

I'd love to have had some more "natural chug" in the guitars, the snare's abit to the dark side, and then there's something 'bout the toms that bothers me.

V2
Attempted to tame the 2-300hz build up , added more brightness to snare, replaced low-end tom energy with more hf,  lowered BGV

.mp3    V1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Deny Control v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hey Krabbe,

you definitely got some nice energy going on, but you should try and cut some of the mud and woofiness at 200hz to get more clarity. I just made a small cut at 220hz with -3b and your mix was instantly better. I´m not sure about the snare, I think it sounds good in your mix. It could possibly benefit from a small high-shelf boost, but I already like the way it sounds in your mix. As for the toms: I had amazing results with Nollys Fabfilter Saturn-Trick in my mix of Deny Control. Didn't need any other plugin besides Saturn on my toms. Might be worth a try:

https://youtu.be/X7bUCCQUBeA?t=1558
(31-05-2021, 01:05 PM)MATW Wrote: Hey Krabbe,

you definitely got some nice energy going on, but you should try and cut some of the mud and woofiness at 200hz to get more clarity. I just made a small cut at 220hz with -3b and your mix was instantly better. I´m not sure about the snare, I think it sounds good in your mix. It could possibly benefit from a small high-shelf boost, but I already like the way it sounds in your mix. As for the toms: I had amazing results with Nollys Fabfilter Saturn-Trick in my mix of Deny Control. Didn't need any other plugin besides Saturn on my toms. Might be worth a try:

https://youtu.be/X7bUCCQUBeA?t=1558
Thanks for the feedback

I agree with you about the 200-ish area. I already made a 3-ish dB cut in that area. Wanted to cut more, but thought that it might be my ears. You know, when you discover something that bugs your ears, you obviously wanna kill it. The risk being that you kill it too much, if you know what I mean ... 

Again, I agree with you about the snare. More HF boost would not be a bad thing.

I did consider a saturation bus for part of the drum kit, but restrained because I though that it was just me going crazy, since I had already applied a "classic" NY-compression to the drums. I like what the saturn does,  I do however believe that the same result could be achieved with some  EQ and perhaps some additional parallel compression.

When time allows me to, I will take another look at this

Again, thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Cool mix! digging the energy and agree with the suggestions left so far. Maybe backing vocals could be brought down a little in level? All in all nice work, looking forward to hearing more!