Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Four Graham - 1ws Mix
Hey guys, this is kind of emotional for me. I'm going to upload two versions and, honestly, I feel like I've come so far since I first started. To tell you the truth, I mixed this song 5 years ago but got so frustrated because I didn't think that I could make it sound like I wanted it to. I had a clear vision in my head, but it just wasn't working out. So after days of tackling it, on April 30th, 2016, I decided to shelve the project and move on to something else. And then again, and again, and so on, until now. It's been half a decade since I first tried to mix this song, and I really want everyone (who gives a hoot) to hear how much different it was back then after I gave up, compared to how it is today after sitting with it for maybe an hour and a half, just enjoying myself with this song that at this point means so much to me. 

To me, I hear a huge difference. A difference of 5 years of learning and passion for doing this. If you don't like my take on the track, that's totally fine. But at least I can finally say that it's the way I've always wanted it to be in my head. No stream for this one, and I'm honestly glad I didn't stream it. I'm way too emotional to be talking to a crowd and mixing this track. It's been a personal goal of mine for a long time, and now I finally feel happy with it.

Criticisms still welcome, of course Wink
First one I did is called "PHILS MIX". The one I did today is called "1ws 2021 Mix".

.mp3    Nova-One Studio - Four Graham PHILS MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)

.mp3    Nova-One Studio - Four Graham - 1ws 2021 Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)

Hi!

Great mix! Nicely polished.

Thanks for sharing the story behind the two mixes too. It really highlights what I mentioned in that other thread about knowing where you are at and where you want to get to. Got to have the tenacity to stick with it and really work at it. It is not an easy thing, and you have to kind of tread your own path.

You can hear in the first mix where you wanted to get to, but were pushing it a little bit with balance and eq in slightly the wrong way to get the result you wanted, does that make sense?

The first mix isn't bad though and is quite interesting - I can hear in that mix you were really trying hard to get everything clear and present, especially with the drums.

I find it kind of difficult to explain, and I don't think it is as quite as obvious as it seems until one begins to really 'get it'. As I am currently finding you really do have to learn how to use balance and contrast (volume & frequency) to your advantage so you are not having to fight everything so much to get things where you want.

I think that is kind of the main difference between the two mixes, if that makes sense? I mean for example from my experience so far I thought I knew what was meant by getting a good initial balance, but I am finding I didn't really fully understand.. and my mixes are just starting to get a little better I feel. Not sure if that makes sense? I'm kind of projecting a bit as to where I feel I am at I suppose.

Anyway, I suspect a lot of work, frustration, and those great little breakthrough moments between those two mixes.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!