Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No samples guys, it's possible!!!!
I finished the mix couple days ago. Today I was testing drum gate plugin from Sonnox and the results were really good so I decided to post it here.

For comparison I uploaded the same mix but without Sonnox drum gate on close mics. Instead I used stock Protools gate (with external sidechain trigger track) + c6 as a multiband expander for high frequencies

.mp3    The Feeling_MIX_1(no Sonnox drum gate)_1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    CAMBRDIGE_The Left Black- The Feeling_MIX_1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Hey Grzesiek! I preferer the second mix over the first, the bass seems more detailed. Also as mike mentioned before its easy to care to much about bleed. I know its a very hard thing to handle, but if you can use the bleed to your advantage you are on a very right way to a top notch mix, if you somehow figure out the eq-puzzle and all that. But ye i do agree gates can work well but for me they are so timeconsuming and hard to set right for that matter, so i think i easier loose conception of the overall balances when using them rather then not. I like both mixes you got here.
It sounds great! Amazing job!

The only thing, and that's just me, I'm not a huge fan of your choice of vox verb.

Again, great job
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(01-06-2021, 10:02 AM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Grzesiek! I preferer the second mix over the first, the bass seems more detailed. Also as mike mentioned before its easy to care to much about bleed. I know its a very hard thing to handle, but if you can use the bleed to your advantage you are on a very right way to a top notch mix, if you somehow figure out the eq-puzzle and all that. But ye i do agree gates can work well but for me they are so timeconsuming and hard to set right for that matter, so i think i easier loose conception of the overall balances when using them rather then not. I like both mixes you got here.
Thanks for the comment! There is no other difference between these 2 mixes expect the fact that on the first one I used Oxford drum gate and on the second I didn't. I would say the difference between the two is minor but it's just easier and more consistent with Oxford. 
I agree with the statement that you can make the bleed to work on your favour however, often times we are working with bad recording where bleed doesn't add anything except harsh hi-hat leftovers. My point is that I just wanted to test this plugin on some nasty drum recording, like this song (which is still cool).
(03-06-2021, 03:49 PM)Krabbe Wrote: It sounds great! Amazing job!

The only thing, and that's just me, I'm not a huge fan of your choice of vox verb.

Again, great job

Thank you very much for giving it a listen! 
I didn't use reverb on these vocals. It was 3 slap delays mixed together which technically acts almost as a reverb. I appreciate your opinion!
Hi Grzesiek! I listening The Feeling_MIX_1. Great sounding mix!