Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Again with another free mix!
Sup guys!!!!

Long time since i've posted here, so i decided to come back with this banger of a tune. I do remember mixing a song from the same band (https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=31616) and i should say: that is some serious development!!! quad tracked guitars, drums (i think) were made in GGD invasion, really well performed vocals... props to the guys in the band, they nailed it in this one.

As the mixing goes, this one was a bit on the trickier side. Double kick parts and chugging low tuned guitars are a powerful combination, but get out of hand when not controlled properly... and for sure, that was one of the most difficult things to get right: it seemed like you had the choice between a Kick with lots of low end and attack but too loud when getting in the fast parts, or a good in the fast parts but weak and thin kick in the other parts of the song. Some TDR Nova to compress just the low end of the kick almost necessary in order for this mix to work.

Another problem was the amount of snare, kick, and tom bleed in the OH & Room mics... i generally like it, but when it comes to fast death metal, it's better to keep things under control, and oh boy i had to take some drastic measures to get this right... 2 or 3 notches in the OH & Room mics weren't enough: had to cut around 300-400 int the drum bus to get the "muddy leftovers" from theses tracks as well as the direct mics.

Guitars are sooooooooo good!! it's pretty hard to not get a good sound with them, especially when they're recorded this tight. In some parts, instead of turning up the volume, i decided to add a light chorus+saturation combo just to get that extra loudness feeling.

Not so much to talk about vox, bass and the other tracks, since they're already good 2 go with some EQ & Compresion. i mean you need to dial the bass tone, and in this case it was a mixture between 3 sounds:

1. DI (H-E-A-V-Y with limiting)
2. Clean Tone (T.S.E. BOD)
3.Grit Tone (T.S.E O.D 808 + Ignite Amps Bass Amp + Bass Cab IR)

But that's all there's to it. In the Master Bus i've put a free instance of Ozone i got when it came out, and that things makes wonders... mix is super loud and transients are well preserved!!

Hope ya'll like it!!

PS: Not confident about the kick's low-end, but i think that's all i could do for now...
UPDATE #1: Mix #2 now with the proper low-end + vox and solo guitars extra ambience!

.mp3    The Crown.mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

.mp3    The Crown 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
Hey man! Thanks for the kind words. It's a solo project, I'm doing basically everything except for this occasion tho, I've asked my friend to do vocals. It's definitely a huge leap quality-wise since my track "Aureus Necrosis", which I did almost 2 years ago. The drums are indeed the GGD Invasion, I can not stand the EZD anymore, I hate it. Guitars use the Fortin Nameless Suite, my absolute favorite amp sim since its release.

Here are some of my observations on your mix:
I really like the delay on the piano in the intro. I think the overheads are a bit quiet. The bass gets out of control sometimes, especially in the intro, maybe you could have used more compression and/or automation. The vocals and solo guitars are a bit dry (atleast to my taste). Overall I think it's a pretty good balance, good job!
Hey man! I like this track though I do believe there's some conflict or buildup around 70 to 90hz between the bass and kick. The leads are very very nice sounding, I'd just bring them up a little bit and maybe add some more delay / verb. The vocals sound like you knew what you were doing! I prefer drums a little roomier but I like what you did with them so I can't complain about that Wink
(31-05-2021, 12:38 AM)js32shred Wrote: Hey man! Thanks for the kind words. It's a solo project, I'm doing basically everything except for this occasion tho, I've asked my friend to do vocals. It's definitely a huge leap quality-wise since my track "Aureus Necrosis", which I did almost 2 years ago. The drums are indeed the GGD Invasion, I can not stand the EZD anymore, I hate it. Guitars use the Fortin Nameless Suite, my absolute favorite amp sim since its release.

Here are some of my observations on your mix:
I really like the delay on the piano in the intro. I think the overheads are a bit quiet. The bass gets out of control sometimes, especially in the intro, maybe you could have used more compression and/or automation. The vocals and solo guitars are a bit dry (atleast to my taste). Overall I think it's a pretty good balance, good job!
Really cool to see ya still active man! Also make some solo stuff so I know it can be hard to got some stuff right, but you're going well! Updated the mix with your notes.
Peppermark

(31-05-2021, 01:52 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Hey man! I like this track though I do believe there's some conflict or buildup around 70 to 90hz between the bass and kick. The leads are very very nice sounding, I'd just bring them up a little bit and maybe add some more delay / verb. The vocals sound like you knew what you were doing! I prefer drums a little roomier but I like what you did with them so I can't complain about that Wink
Thanks for the kind words man!!! Updated the mix with the low-end problem. Mixing on headphones here so sometimes i do get carried away by the lack o lows in my specific model (AKG K240). About the drum ambience: i also love big drum room sounds, but since there was a lot of fast parts like double kick and blast beats, i decided to keep it off a little bit. TBH, the OH & Room tracks were pretty high on the bleed side, so i think it was harder to contain the ambience than to add it hahaha! Anyhow, i really wanted to do something about the snare, but at this point i think it would just make it worse. If ya got any ideas, i'd be happy to test them out!!!!
Peppermark

very nice mix...