Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my take on Deny Control
Straightforward mixing, think the most challenging thing is fitting the bass solo in (guess I went for something reminiscent of Primus). Most tracks have Brainworx's bx_console SSL 9000 J thrown in... And that's it.

Hope you enjoy it!

(updated version!)

.mp3    deny control 28.5.21.a.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

.mp3    deny control 3.6.21.a.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

Sounds really nice and big on my Adams and Focals. You've definitely nailed the basics! Beefy guitar sound, kick and snare sound also great. Compared with the reference mix, it might be a bit too low-mid heavy though. You may have to check the 200hz region - I've added a version of your mix with a small cut at 200hz and a small high-shelf boost at 2khz which fixes the muddiness very easily. The eq is turned on and off so you can hear the difference. 

Other than that, this mix is in a very nice spot, with only a handful of minimal things to fix, most of which are of personal preference.

My suggestions:
- The OH/cymbals could be a tad louder. There are so many crazy cymbal hits/details in this song that you could bring them up a bit
- The small solo at 2:00 needs to come up
- Right now, the breakdown sounds like a letdown for me if it doesn't hit me with 110% right from the start. It's cool to play with the guitar panning and create "smaller" and "bigger" parts, but the breakdown should be as big and beefy as it can be, right at the start of the bass solo.
- You could bring up the nice bass figure at 1:45 to add some nice little detail to the mix.

So as I wrote earlier, we are mainly talking about personal preferences and small details here. This is a great mix and I really dig it.

.mp3    deny control with minimal eq.mp3 --  (Download: 2.21 MB)

(29-05-2021, 08:59 PM)MATW Wrote: Sounds really nice and big on my Adams and Focals. You've definitely nailed the basics! Beefy guitar sound, kick and snare sound also great. Compared with the reference mix, it might be a bit too low-mid heavy though. You may have to check the 200hz region - I've added a version of your mix with a small cut at 200hz and a small high-shelf boost at 2khz which fixes the muddiness very easily. The eq is turned on and off so you can hear the difference. 

Other than that, this mix is in a very nice spot, with only a handful of minimal things to fix, most of which are of personal preference.

My suggestions:
- The OH/cymbals could be a tad louder. There are so many crazy cymbal hits/details in this song that you could bring them up a bit
- The small solo at 2:00 needs to come up
- Right now, the breakdown sounds like a letdown for me if it doesn't hit me with 110% right from the start. It's cool to play with the guitar panning and create "smaller" and "bigger" parts, but the breakdown should be as big and beefy as it can be, right at the start of the bass solo.
- You could bring up the nice bass figure at 1:45 to add some nice little detail to the mix.

So as I wrote earlier, we are mainly talking about personal preferences and small details here. This is a great mix and I really dig it.

MATW, thank you for taking the time for listening, writing and even processing the mix! Appreciate it. : )

It does cuts through more with your eq moves, so I've tried different doses of that on specific busses. But I must say wasn't aiming towards the reference mix at all, as I dislike various aspects of it. Tastes.

Considered all suggestions, more or less. The new version is above in the first post.

Thanks again for all the kind words!
Really nice mix
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
(04-06-2021, 08:35 AM)brady85 Wrote: Really nice mix

Thank you, brady85!