Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'The Crown' V2
Hope you enjoy it.
Lemme know what you think Smile

Update v2 - I tried to fix up all the problems mention.
Update v3 - I fixed the bass and kick slightly better

I did a whole multitude of things to all of the tracks so if you have any questions ask
I hope this version really brings the energy of the song Smile

.mp3    The Crown.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

.mp3    The CrownV2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

.mp3    The CrownV3.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

WOAH that's really crushed by compression and limiting. Thankfully, there's mid-range so frequency wise it's well balanced. However, I feel like it would sound better if it wasn't quite so limited / crushed. There's also a lot of build up in the 90hz to 100hz area and that's especially obvious when it starts pumping and the snare disappears into a thippy burst of wires.
A little less 90hz and less aggressive limiting would make this a lot easier on the ears! But other than that, the balance is pretty good. I just feel like you took it from proggy / death metal and made it blackened death with simple aesthetic choices. If that was your intent, it's cool! If not, I'm happy to help you out in getting closer to your vision for it with continued criticism Smile
(31-05-2021, 01:46 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: WOAH that's really crushed by compression and limiting. Thankfully, there's mid-range so frequency wise it's well balanced. However, I feel like it would sound better if it wasn't quite so limited / crushed. There's also a lot of build up in the 90hz to 100hz area and that's especially obvious when it starts pumping and the snare disappears into a thippy burst of wires.
A little less 90hz and less aggressive limiting would make this a lot easier on the ears! But other than that, the balance is pretty good. I just feel like you took it from proggy / death metal and made it blackened death with simple aesthetic choices. If that was your intent, it's cool! If not, I'm happy to help you out in getting closer to your vision for it with continued criticism Smile
I always love helpful criticism! I do notice how its very crushed sounding. It was mostly due to just having too much uncontrolled low end. So I went through and cleaned the bass and low end of the guitars with a dynamic compressor. With a little more EQ in the right places on the tracks, there's plenty of room for some reverbs to fill in some holes between the tracks. Just about every track has a reverb of some sort on it. The Vocals have 2 reverbs. A long dark Chamber and a big short Plate. I also put a ducking Delay on it around 570 ms or so, by ear. The kick I think was the hardest thing to get an EQ shape that sounds fitting but cuts through against everything else. SO many cuts around 3 to 5k it feels wrong but sounds right. I typically make everything flat(Typically cutting frequencies) with EQ and compressing it very aggressively and precise before making any second EQ, comp, or Saturation decisions to make it pop.