Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immaculate - HbGuitar Mix
The rough mix came together reasonably quickly but then took hours and hours to bring it home. I started noticing that the snare sound during the chorus was really inconsistent. Virtually every beat had a different timbre or loudness and trying to hone in a consistent sound took a lot of effort.

Thanks for listening, feedback welcomed

.mp3    Immaculate_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

Some nice things going on here.... very nice eq and treatment of the acoustic guitars.... feel the reverb is a bit much and sort of detached from the mix a little... it seems to sit behind the mix and not with it? particularly on the snare and vocals. less and a slower attack on the piano compression would help too i think. A slower attack and higher amount of compression and removal of some 125-250hz on the bass would help too.... slower attack on a fretless bass really helps the 'yawn' of the instrument. Some kind of stereo enhancement above 600hz or so on the bass would help to pull it into the mix a bit more too.....
i7 4820k, Cubase 7.5, UAD2 Quad/Solo, Adam/Avantone/Tannoy monitoring,
RME HDSPe, SSL pres, Waves/SoundToys/Duende etc plugins...
(03-01-2016, 06:44 PM)Ms-Mixes Wrote: Some nice things going on here.... very nice eq and treatment of the acoustic guitars.... feel the reverb is a bit much and sort of detached from the mix a little... it seems to sit behind the mix and not with it? particularly on the snare and vocals. less and a slower attack on the piano compression would help too i think. A slower attack and higher amount of compression and removal of some 125-250hz on the bass would help too.... slower attack on a fretless bass really helps the 'yawn' of the instrument. Some kind of stereo enhancement above 600hz or so on the bass would help to pull it into the mix a bit more too.....

Thx for listening. Totally agree with your observations.

This is a pretty old mix so not surprised reverb isn't quite up to scratch. In fact, i think it was probably one of the first 1/2 dozen mixes i ever did so it's probably full of mistakes and errors

cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar