Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Ride Deny control!
What a song! Dirk was on fire, vocals awesome! everything was played really good. very well recorded!

I gave myself an hour to mix this one, just to test myself. 

here is the result Big Grin

Edit: few hours later I fixed some things haha.

Edit II : V3, dimmed down the vocal effect, lowered the snare a little and much more haha

.mp3    Deny Control.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

.mp3    deny control v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

.mp3    deny control v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
I really like this! The vocals just sound very... unnatturally widened. Without that, it would be a much more clean and natural sounding mix, which I definitely appreciate.
Hey Brady, congrats, nice mix.

My 4 cents:

- I think your snare sample(s) is/are not 100% fitting the genre/band/song, or maybe the snare is just too loud in the regular parts of the song. I can't really explain/nail it other than "It sticks out too much" Smile

- You also need to check Trigger because some of the snare hits in the blast beat (especially at the end) suddenly have a much higher intensity than the other hits (check 3:33). I had this problem with my mix as well and I really had to get down in the dirt and adjust the intensity of the snare hits in the blast one by one to make sure that they stay consistent.

- I´m also with aftercut regarding the vocals. They sound a bit weird.

- You need to bring up the Slayer solo at 1:50. Dirk is also supporting the dive bomb solo on the ride (exactly like Dave Lombardo did back in the day), so it really should be more audible

- The breakdown feels very weak. I know it's because you wanted to highlight the bass solo and get more oomph when the guitar solo kicks, but after that buildup, there should be a wall of sound coming at me. I absolutely love the effect right before the guitar solo

Overall, this is a great mix, and it shows that you really know what you are doing!
(01-06-2021, 09:12 PM)MATW Wrote: Hey Brady, congrats, nice mix.

My 4 cents:

- I think your snare sample(s) is/are not 100% fitting the genre/band/song, or maybe the snare is just too loud in the regular parts of the song. I can't really explain/nail it other than "It sticks out too much" Smile

- You also need to check Trigger because some of the snare hits in the blast beat (especially at the end) suddenly have a much higher intensity than the other hits (check 3:33). I had this problem with my mix as well and I really had to get down in the dirt and adjust the intensity of the snare hits in the blast one by one to make sure that they stay consistent.

- I´m also with aftercut regarding the vocals. They sound a bit weird.

- You need to bring up the Slayer solo at 1:50. Dirk is also supporting the dive bomb solo on the ride (exactly like Dave Lombardo did back in the day), so it really should be more audible

- The breakdown feels very weak. I know it's because you wanted to highlight the bass solo and get more oomph when the guitar solo kicks, but after that buildup, there should be a wall of sound coming at me. I absolutely love the effect right before the guitar solo

Overall, this is a great mix, and it shows that you really know what you are doing!

Thanks for the feedback!

i´ll take those notes and make a version 3 this week Big Grin
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
(27-05-2021, 08:26 PM)aftercutrecords Wrote: I really like this! The vocals just sound very... unnatturally widened. Without that, it would be a much more clean and natural sounding mix, which I definitely appreciate.
yeah after giving it some rest, the vocals are indeed a little to wide.ill fix it in version 3.
Thanks for the feedback Big Grin
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Very cool to hear this one take form over the three versions, great work looking forward to hearing more!
(03-06-2021, 08:30 PM)trading_pieces Wrote: Very cool to hear this one take form over the three versions, great work looking forward to hearing more!
thank you ! Big Grin
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro