Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All I Know
My thinking on this was pure 80's New Wave. I tried not to really peg the output buss with to much compression or limiting, it's there but made conscience effort for it to not be noticeable. I thought of  bands like After The Fire, Falco, The Human League and even U2 for reference. U2 wasn't really New Wave but the vocals on this track kind of remind me of Bono's voice. Guitars are low in the mix and the keys and bass are more upfront. Seems that was a popular sound in this genre in the early 80's. So this is my 2nd attempt at mixing something I didn't record and produce myself. My personal goal in doing this is to be a better mixer purely from mixing more and in different styles that are outside of my comfort zone. Any feedback is appreciated. There's been a lot of good mixes on here of this tune. The multitracks are recorded very well and sounded pretty good straight from the get go. Credit to who ever tracked it in the first place.

.mp3    All I KNow.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

therealjackmerrillMy thinking on this was pure 80's New Wave. I tried not to really peg the output buss with to much compression or limiting, it's there but made conscience effort for it to not be noticeable. I thought of  bands like After The Fire, Falco, The Human League and even U2 for reference. U2 wasn't really New Wave but the vocals on this track kind of remind me of Bono's voice. Guitars are low in the mix and the keys and bass are more upfront. Seems that was a popular sound in this genre in the early 80's. So this is my 2nd attempt at mixing something I didn't record and produce myself. My personal goal in doing this is to be a better mixer purely from mixing more and in different styles that are outside of my comfort zone. Any feedback is appreciated. There's been a lot of good mixes on here of this tune. The multitracks are recorded very well and sounded pretty good straight from the get go. Credit to who ever tracked it in the first place.
Nice job and yeah, I am the guy that recorded this song in 1994 at Audio Art Studio (later to become Sonica) in Atlanta, GA.  It amazes me how many mixes people have done here over the years.  It kinda motivates me to do a new one myself and post it here.  I think I will do that.  I’d like to see someone take this piece and instead of just mixing it, replace and add new parts (which is what I plan to do… stay tuned).  And thank you for your mix!
(25-05-2021, 03:32 AM)RLeverone Wrote: therealjackmerrillMy thinking on this was pure 80's New Wave. I tried not to really peg the output buss with to much compression or limiting, it's there but made conscience effort for it to not be noticeable. I thought of  bands like After The Fire, Falco, The Human League and even U2 for reference. U2 wasn't really New Wave but the vocals on this track kind of remind me of Bono's voice. Guitars are low in the mix and the keys and bass are more upfront. Seems that was a popular sound in this genre in the early 80's. So this is my 2nd attempt at mixing something I didn't record and produce myself. My personal goal in doing this is to be a better mixer purely from mixing more and in different styles that are outside of my comfort zone. Any feedback is appreciated. There's been a lot of good mixes on here of this tune. The multitracks are recorded very well and sounded pretty good straight from the get go. Credit to who ever tracked it in the first place.
Nice job and yeah, I am the guy that recorded this song in 1994 at Audio Art Studio (later to become Sonica) in Atlanta, GA.  It amazes me how many mixes people have done here over the years.  It kinda motivates me to do a new one myself and post it here.  I think I will do that.  I’d like to see someone take this piece and instead of just mixing it, replace and add new parts (which is what I plan to do… stay tuned).  And thank you for your mix!

Man it's a good track! After listening to the first mix a few times, I decided it needed more work. I'm much happier with the 2nd mix. Tried the reverse reverb thing coming into the vocal on a few different parts and tweaked a few other things. I'm living in Southern Indiana but oddly enough my 21 year old son is going to school at the Atlanta Institute of Music & Media College. Thank you for making it available and look forward to what you do next. Cheers.

.mp3    All I KNow V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

(23-05-2021, 05:39 PM)therealjackmerrill Wrote: My thinking on this was pure 80's New Wave. I tried not to really peg the output buss with to much compression or limiting, it's there but made conscience effort for it to not be noticeable. I thought of  bands like After The Fire, Falco, The Human League and even U2 for reference. U2 wasn't really New Wave but the vocals on this track kind of remind me of Bono's voice. Guitars are low in the mix and the keys and bass are more upfront. Seems that was a popular sound in this genre in the early 80's. So this is my 2nd attempt at mixing something I didn't record and produce myself. My personal goal in doing this is to be a better mixer purely from mixing more and in different styles that are outside of my comfort zone. Any feedback is appreciated. There's been a lot of good mixes on here of this tune. The multitracks are recorded very well and sounded pretty good straight from the get go. Credit to who ever tracked it in the first place.
Hi there, I also mixed this song, great recording, it was fun to work on it.

I'm not really experienced in mixing yet, but there are two things I would change in your mix: hihat is way too loud to my taste and also I would give a little bit more high mids to the lead vocal to make it stand out more.

I really like the rest of your mix, great work!