Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SKYEEZ & The Whiteflies 'JumpACroSS' mix
Thought this was an interesting song with a lot of different elements happening. Didn't spend any time trying to fix timing issues, basically used as is. Any feedback is appreciated.

Best

.mp3    Jump Across.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)

It feels close but could use some rebalancing. I think some of the rhythm guitars could come back and some of the solo stuff up. Same with the background vocals. The HH could come back, especially when he's smashing it. Also, it feels panned to the same side as the ride. The snare is pretty loud and feels disconnected from the track a bit sometimes.
It might be trying to rock too hard and things could take a step back and let the vocals be in the forefront.
(22-05-2021, 06:39 PM)RoyM Wrote: It feels close but could use some rebalancing. I think some of the rhythm guitars could come back and some of the solo stuff up. Same with the background vocals. The HH could come back, especially when he's smashing it. Also, it feels panned to the same side as the ride. The snare is pretty loud and feels disconnected from the track a bit sometimes.
It might be trying to rock too hard and things could take a step back and let the vocals be in the forefront.

Thanks for your input. To be honest I wasn't happy with the guitars either, I tried to use minimal processing on them and it just doesn't work. I took your suggestions and remixed. I've always mixed drums from audience perspective it's just automatic for me to pan HH to the right. I didn't even think about the overheads being panned the other way. Good catch and again thank you for pointing it out. Something I need to pay more attention to when working with files that someone else has tracked. I pushed the vocals up a couple db and backed off the snare. In the first mix I felt they were pretty even but you're probably right on this kind of song the drums don't have to punch that hard. I probably worked on the guitars the most in this mix trying to get the right sounds and balancing where they sit in the mix better. Thanks again.

.mp3    Jump Acrossv2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)

OK. OK. After listening to the mp3 posted here, that sizzle on the HH is almost unbearable. Backed the shelf off by 3 db. I had it boosted quite high.

New mix below.

Cheers

.mp3    Jump Acrossv3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)