Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Left Backs - The Feeling Mix
Hey everyone,

First time poster here, my attempt at mixing this Britpop indie banger.

I went for a bass/low end driven approach here to really move the song along as it has little structural variation. The drums were a real challenge with lots of bleed on basically every track so to compensate i gave the snare a real splatty saturated sound which i think adds some unique character and energy(and attempts to hide the hi hat bleed a little too). Overall a very fun mix!

Would love some feedback from you guys!

.mp3    The_LeftBacks_The_Feeling_2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.38 MB)

Hi!

I think people can worry too much about bleed. Sometimes you can gate it out, other times I find you can get a half decent balance without worrying about it and go from there.

The snare and possibly the bass might be dominating just a little too much at times for me. Some of the distortion on the bass can sound a little monotone I think, even though the frequency of the bass is changing. The mix is sounding just a touch midrangey overall too, perhaps? Not sure if it needs a little more top end or something, say above 2.5 or so perhaps to open it up a little bit? More noticeable on headphones I think.

The mix approach works for me though, aside from that!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(25-05-2021, 08:53 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I think people can worry too much about bleed.  Sometimes you can gate it out, other times I find you can get a half decent balance without worrying about it and go from there. 

The snare and possibly the bass might be dominating just a little too much at times for me.  Some of the distortion on the bass can sound a little monotone I think, even though the frequency of the bass is changing. The mix is sounding just a touch midrangey overall too, perhaps?  Not sure if it needs a little more top end or something, say above 2.5 or so perhaps to open it up a little bit?  More noticeable on headphones I think. 

The mix approach works for me though, aside from that!

Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback! I was struggling with the high end on the OH tracks sounding a little spikey so i think in the end decided less is more, maybe a deesser or some multiband compression could deal with it better. 100% about the bleed, i wasnt loving the balance without gates, but even with them a lot of the hi hat was coming through on the snare and was poking through a little too much. I think i saw it more as a fun challenge than a necessity, ha!
Hi

Great job, amazing result!

The toms feels - not sounds - a bit "odd" to me. Anyhow, it's really small potaots ... so small that it's not even potatos yet ... Wink

Nice work!
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(03-06-2021, 03:54 PM)Krabbe Wrote: Hi

Great job, amazing result!

The toms feels - not sounds -  a bit "odd" to me. Anyhow, it's really small potaots ... so small that it's not even potatos yet ... Wink

Nice work!
Thanks for the feedback! As Mikej mentioned above I think i tried too hard to have separation between the drums and minimize bleed, that could be why the toms feel weird as I isolated them. Could contribute to a disjointed feel maybe?