Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkride - Deny Control
Hey guys,

after a break from mixing, I decided to give this one a shot. Started with stock plugins only, but over time, I went back to my old and trusted plugins. Tried to keep the overall tone of the tracks intact, but changed some guitar parts here and there. Still (and to my surprise), the mix came together very quickly. I also did not push the limiter very hard for the final mix, so there is still room to make this mix louder. 

Hope you like it.

.mp3    Deny Control V4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

I'm not really the ideal person to comment on mixes like this but I think it sounds good. I can hear everything. I think the bass solo could stand out a little more. I kinda want a little more low end push overall but I'm not sure about that.
Thanks, Roy =) If I don't pay attention to Reference (great plugin for checking your mix with reference mixes) or use my headphones for comparison, I almost always end up with a very bass-heavy mix with too much energy at around 60 Hz and below. My room is not ideal, so I have to rely on my headphones and plugins like Reference to get the low-end right, which usually works. I used "My Curse" from Killswitch Engage as a reference for my mix, and I had to cut back the low end of the kick drum quite a bit this time. I then listened to other mixes here on the forum, but in direct comparison with My Curse, they were all significantly more bass-heavy. I ultimately decided to stick with My Curse in terms of the low end, because Killswitch was also used as a reference for the original mix. The good thing is that this can be fixed very easily if the mastering engineer wants me to raise the low end before mastering.
really nice mix! maybe the lead guitar is a little loud?
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
punchy mix, nice work!
Thx for the kind words Smile Gotta do one more automation pass to see if I can add a bit more excitement. Not happy with the breakdown, it needs to hit harder