Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Noise floor mix of Deny Control
My first mix in more than a 5 month break from the studio. Some new gear and I didn't read the tips until after this was done. Will maybe make adjustments . Comments welcome

.mp3    Deny-Control-.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Hey,

I would remove the 12 seconds of silence at the beginning Smile I was wondering if my audio setup was not working properly, turned up the volume and BAM - nearly blew away my rooftop. As for the mix: Sounds good, with some nice ideas. Good balance overall, love the energy. I also like that the mix mostly sounds the way it was recorded in terms of tone and style.

What I made a note of while listening:

In the blast beats, you don't hear the fast 32nd note passages on the kick drum. It’s not a problem in the lesser dense part of the song, but when everything is playing at 11, the kick is kinda lost. Maybe try to give it a bit more high-end to cut through the dense passages a bit more?

The solo at 2:10 sounds a bit harsh on my speakers, but the idea to give the solo a completely different tone is nice.

There are some nice bass figures in the song (e.g. at 1:58 in your mix), and the bass solo is also great. Maybe you can bring more of that into the mix to make it a little more vibrant.

Just a thought: Maybe you should reduce the high end of the rhythm guitars a bit more, but make the mix itself a bit brighter. But I´m not sure about this one, because the mix sounds good right now and I would not recommend making any big changes to it.

Love it, good job.
(15-05-2021, 11:53 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Hey,

I would remove the 12 seconds of silence at the beginning Smile I was wondering if my audio setup was not working properly, turned up the volume and BAM - nearly blew away my rooftop. As for the mix: Sounds good, with some nice ideas. Good balance overall, love the energy. I also like that the mix mostly sounds the way it was recorded in terms of tone and style.

What I made a note of while listening:

In the blast beats, you don't hear the fast 32nd note passages on the kick drum. It’s not a problem in the lesser dense part of the song, but when everything is playing at 11, the kick is kinda lost. Maybe try to give it a bit more high-end to cut through the dense passages a bit more?

The solo at 2:10 sounds a bit harsh on my speakers, but the idea to give the solo a completely different tone is nice.

There are some nice bass figures in the song (e.g. at 1:58 in your mix), and the bass solo is also great. Maybe you can bring more of that into the mix to make it a little more vibrant.

Just a thought: Maybe you should reduce the high end of the rhythm guitars a bit more, but make the mix itself a bit brighter. But I´m not sure about this one, because the mix sounds good right now and I would not recommend making any big changes to it.

Love it, good job.
Thank you for the tracks and the comments. What did you listen back on?
Adams A7X and Focal-Headphones.

Edit: I checked it again and also listened to a few reference tracks. The solo guitar is still a bit too sharp for my taste, but that's a personal thing. The rhythm guitars are totally fine. I probably listened to your mix too often in a row this morning and too loud as well (hence the joke about the rooftop). It's actually a good sign when you turn the volume up because you enjoy a mix, but I probably went a bit too far this morning Smile
Sweet, I mixed on Adam AX7’s so it should translate well.
The opening silence in the beginning could be trimmed when mastering. 
I appreciate your time spent listening and the critique
Is awesome you lent your tracks for others to play with  !
Wow! I can definitely vibe this. It sounds really good! The only thing I'd say is the blasts get kind of buried (the snare parts) and the midrange is kind of scooped on the guitars. Overall, it sounds good! Great balance, great individual sounds. The bass solo could definitely be more defined, as I struggled to hear it in the mix, but the leads sound pretty good to me. Maybe a little bright and lacking in mids, but that's preferential.

Good mix!
(23-05-2021, 06:39 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Wow! I can definitely vibe this. It sounds really good! The only thing I'd say is the blasts get kind of buried (the snare parts) and the midrange is kind of scooped on the guitars. Overall, it sounds good! Great balance, great individual sounds. The bass solo could definitely be more defined, as I struggled to hear it in the mix, but the leads sound pretty good to me. Maybe a little bright and lacking in mids, but that's preferential.

Good mix!
Thanks Man, did you post a mix? Did you post a mix? Happy to give a listen put my 2 cents in .
(23-05-2021, 09:52 PM)lowtiderider Wrote:
(23-05-2021, 06:39 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Wow! I can definitely vibe this. It sounds really good! The only thing I'd say is the blasts get kind of buried (the snare parts) and the midrange is kind of scooped on the guitars. Overall, it sounds good! Great balance, great individual sounds. The bass solo could definitely be more defined, as I struggled to hear it in the mix, but the leads sound pretty good to me. Maybe a little bright and lacking in mids, but that's preferential.

Good mix!
Thanks Man, did you post a mix? Did you post a mix? Happy to give a listen put my 2 cents in .
Yes, I did! It might be pretty close to the top of the thread list since I just posted it yesterday. It has a stream on it too!