Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkride - Deny Control
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out.

Yes, no intro as I recall there wasn't one on the library mix. Maybe I put too much distortion on the bass solo. I agree with you regarding the drums. I need to work harder on getting a good balance and not try and force everything so much, so to speak. Tired ears on that mix too I think, as I was really working too hard at this one.

I might have yet another go at it now that I've had a little break from it. I have some vague idea of where to go with it now too I think, thanks to all the comments.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

Added mix 4.0 - New mix. Less processing - more focus on balance. Still probably needs more work on tone, etc....

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
V4 is your best mix so far. Two things:

- Check the kick / bass buildup in the blast with 1-2 ref mixes, it sounds like there is too much low end on the kick. If you are not sure, compare your mix with the ref mix and/or a Killswitch Song from As daylight dies. There isn't much super low end on those records.
- If you want to make it even more aggressive, reduce the amount of room/ambience on the drums. That will make them sound much more "in your face".
V4 sounds good ! maybe the snare could use a little more attack?
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
MATW Wrote:V4 is your best mix so far. Two things:

- Check the kick / bass buildup in the blast with 1-2 ref mixes, it sounds like there is too much low end on the kick. If you are not sure, compare your mix with the ref mix and/or a Killswitch Song from As daylight dies. There isn't much super low end on those records.
- If you want to make it even more aggressive, reduce the amount of room/ambience on the drums. That will make them sound much more "in your face".

Hi!

Thanks for checking out the mixes and for the tips.  Yes with regard to the reference you gave I see what you mean about the low end, and also the drum ambience.  Reverb does push things back in a mix. 

I'll have to give this one yet another go sometime I think.

Having had a few days break from mixing practice and some time to reflect a little, I feel my main mixing issue is likey being too quick to start pushing at frequencies to try and get everything to fit together, as I tend to gravitate more towards eq boosts...  I need to really work on getting a good balance, first figure out where everything needs to sit and make space first I think.

Cheers!
(03-06-2021, 10:43 AM)brady85 Wrote: V4 sounds good !  maybe the snare could use a little more attack?

Thanks for checking it out. I still need more practice at this!

Cheers!
(06-06-2021, 01:06 PM)mikej Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:43 AM)brady85 Wrote: V4 sounds good !  maybe the snare could use a little more attack?

Thanks for checking it out. I still need more practice at this!

Cheers!

You could try to duplicate the snare stem, create a new channel for it.. Then use a transient designer and give it all the attack and almost no sustain. Then put a compressor on it and give a slow attack and medium realse time. blend this channel in with the other snare. just a tiny bit can make a huge difference.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer