Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkride - Deny Control
Hi!

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far. I have read through it all, and it's truly appreciated.

I had a quick read through of a mixing metal article which mentioned high passing everything more than I normally would. From the examples that Blitzz kindly posted above, I guess the article is perhaps a little extreme in that regard.

Oh, thanks for the advice regarding using limiters too. To be honest I don't tend to use them that much, but I see how they fit in here with this I think.

- Glad you understood what I was getting at Crownoise, thanks for the advice! Yeah I am the opposite - I think I am much more comfortable with the pop stuff than the heavier guitar mixes.

I too found a while back that it's best to mix at lower volume levels so you can really hear the entire mix.  I tried it after watching the CLA Pensado interview.  I have also found myself leaving more mix headroom too.  It really does help with attempting to get a good balance without chasing the faders. It's all good advice I think.

Mix 2.0 - 

I started this mix over... Not sure if it is actually any better/different or not though.

I'll have to revisit it when my ears have had a break as I've likely been over doing it a bit this evening and have surely lost perspective somewhat by now.  I felt I should post something up all the same.

I'm really not sure about the guitar tone, compared to the library mix.  I need to sort out a snare sample to mix in too I think.  The drum mix might need some work too.  I also need to start thinking about automation... Usually I know what I want to automate as I work on a mix and the balance, but I find myself a bit lost with this!

I used a Pultec style eq on the mix bus for mix 2.0 which I think kind of got me a little closer to the library mix tone, as my mix came out darker. Attenuating the low mid freqs (the cut knob) with those curves helps cut some mud and increases separation a bit too.  I still feel I am still missing something tone wise, compared to the reference mix.

Phew, think that's all for now.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey Mike,

you can download the original stems that were used in the mastering process here: https://multitracks.cambridge-mt.com/Dar..._Stems.zip

Maybe that helps?
Hi!

Thanks! 

Yeah I spotted they were available from the FAQ and downloaded them the other day.  Yes, most helpful.  Shows me how far off I am currently Big Grin.

I decided to take a break from mixing this evening, but I have still been going over this in my mind, trying to  figure out how to best to approach the mix tomorrow.  I am still a little puzzled by the guitar tone in the final mix to be honest, but I have some ideas as to how the tone might come about during the mix I think... have to see.

My 2nd mix is still a little heavy.  I feel the balance and tone is a little better than the first mix, but still not right as yet.

The struggle continues Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

This evening's attempt - mix number 3.0

Working really hard at this, but I'm really struggling for balance and tone. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction all the same. Still trying to chase after that library mix.

Time to rest the ol' ears again, and try again tomorrow.

Cheers!
fyi: the guitars in the library mix and the guitars in the project are not the same. It's therefore impossible to get the same sound. The reason is simple: I no longer have the guitar amp plug-in that I used for the old mix (I think it was Ben Bruce from JST). I had to replace the guitars with Fortin Nameless and Archetype: Nolly by Neural DSP for the "Deny Control - Cambridge Mix Edition" Smile Ben Bruce is a 5150 clone afaik, so Nollys ampsim should at least be somewhat close
Big Grin. Ah.. thanks for the info on that one.

I also wondered if the OH's are the same too, as I felt the pitch of the samples was maybe a little lower in the library mix?

I think there's also an extra bar in the library mix somewhere, before the bass solo?

Cheers!

Oh, quick edit to add that none of these things are a problem as such, I'm just curious really.

This track has been challenging, but a lot of fun so far, and it's helped me to figure out a few things too I think!
Yeah, I have cut it out when I prepared the mix for this forum. I´m also not really sure on the drums, because I couldn't load the old project anymore. I have a new computer and most of the old plugins are gone. Well, not really gone, but I have reduced my plugin collection to the plugins I really use and like. The rest is no longer installed, including all the Waves plugins, Softube, Soundtoys, Izotope and many others. It's just Cubase stock plugins nowadays, plus Fabfilter, Slate and stuff like Kontakt and Superior Drummer.

I remember using Superior Drummer back then, but it was V2 and I used a Frankenstein Kit back when I mixed our record. Here, it's Superior Drummer 3 with the Metal Mechaine SDX which sounds way more "real" compared with the old one.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I understand how it is. I have reduced my plugin folder too. I updated to Big Sur a while back Smile. The bulk of my Waves plugins are V9... I actually did get them installed and working on Big Sur which I wasn't expecting, but I too have decided to uninstall them for now...

I find I mostly use a small set of plugins that I've had for years, such as The Glue, and DMG Equality etc, along with a few stock plugins that do the job and a few freebies.

Cheers!
HEy Mikej i like the last version 3 the most, the newest version. Good job on this one Smile Only thing really i find that is a bit of is the vocals, could get more limited for my taste or more eq boosting around mids maybe. Rest sounds nice Smile.
The spot mics are a little loud and the vocals aren't loud enough, but I LOVE this mix. Great job! No intro, though? The bass solo doesn't come out very cleanly, but the rest of it is great.