Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deny Control - a scientists mix
Hello there,
here is my mix. I really liked the different Background Vocals, the Bass-Solo part and the really good quality of the tracks!
The additional information also was very nice - thank you for getting so much in detail with the recording and mixing process.
Best regards and greetings from germany!

.mp3    deny control.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

.mp3    deny control rev 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

I REALLY like this mix. BUT unfortunately, there are one or two places I feel it could definitely be improved.
1) There seems to be a lot of power in the guitars, which is good, but the guitars and bass definitely drown out the vocals and snare. The screams sound fine, but the snare lacks definition and clarity and the clean vocals get absolutely drowned. Overall tone is good, but the balance needs work.
2) I love how clanky the bass solo is, but it NEEDS mids to stand out. 400hz to 1k is WIDE open during the bass solo
3) The guitar solo immediately after the bass is EXTREMELY fizzy. It peaks 4k like nobodies business and as a result gets lost in the rhythm guitars. That lead guitar as a whole should have more mids and less screechy 4k.

Overall, it's a really good effort and there's parts I appreciate, like the power of the bass and rhythm guitars. I like the way you shaped them. They just command too much space!
Thank you for your critics!
I mostly get, what you are critique and tried to adress the issues in the new mix. Can you explain further what lacks in the snare in detail? I've made it a bit denser now with a touch of distortion and added a bit more midrange punch to make it more hearable.

Best Regards
The snare is a lot better now than it was. The vocals are more audible, but I'd still give them more volume in the mix. Everything else is sounding pretty good though! The bass solo definitely sounds thicker now and that's good. The lead guitars also sound less fizzy and more full.
Good job making the revisions and improving your mix, it's considerably better, in my opinion!