Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Going To The Moon'
Excellent tracks already! This makes the mixing 1000x more easy to get the sounds to fit just right.
Let me know your thoughts Smile

UPDATE v2 - So I followed your advice mikej, and I think I have something that translates very well now

.mp3    Going To The MoonV1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.8 MB)

.mp3    Going To The MoonV2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

Hello! Thanks for that, I really tried to get good quality sounds going.
Thanks for mixing my song!
I like how you went the opposite on the chorus, in my mix I put a higher octave on the vocals and you put a lower harmony.
RICKY LEGEND
 spotify | instagram | soundcloud
(03-05-2021, 05:10 AM)ricsanram Wrote: Hello! Thanks for that, I really tried to get good quality sounds going.
Thanks for mixing my song!
I like how you went the opposite on the chorus, in my mix I put a higher octave on the vocals and you put a lower harmony.
Thank you! I really enjoyed mixing it! The lower harmony makes the chorus feel heavier to me rather than an Upper harmony, but it was just my mood at the time. I could blend in an upper harmony as well. 

Great song Smile
Awesome to hear.
Yeah that works, I actually do that with electric guitars...when they're not heavy enough, I add a lower octave in the background and it works great!
Thank you!
RICKY LEGEND
Hi,

Overall it's good.

I do have a few thoughts with regards to that final polish:

Vocal:

I think you can tuck in the vocal delay a little more, to me it is a little distracting as it is perhaps? Maybe some slight automation here and there too, to keep the vocal right upfront at all times - I think it dips just a little at certain points. I found it doesn't need much though.

Chorus:

It gets a bit busy frequency wise for me (eg around 0:37) I think you can push that chorus synth back a bit? The kick, bass, and synth are kind of getting in each others way a bit too much. Maybe stepping on that lower vocal octave a bit too? The bass might be a touch too heavy in the chorus also. I get it that we want the chorus to be a bit bigger, however I think there is enough going on with the arrangement to keep listener interest, compared to the verses, without having to do too much. You can always push things out to the sides a bit, to clear out the middle, and keep things out of the way of the vocal a little more.

What do you think?

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you might be able to do something with the ending?
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(06-05-2021, 09:41 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Overall it's good.

I do have a few thoughts with regards to that final polish:

Vocal:

I think you can tuck in the vocal delay a little more, to me it is a little distracting as it is perhaps?  Maybe some slight automation here and there too, to keep the vocal right upfront at all times - I think it dips just a little at certain points. I found it doesn't need much though.

Chorus:

It gets a bit busy frequency wise for me (eg around 0:37)  I think you can push that chorus synth back a bit?  The kick, bass, and synth are kind of getting in each others way a bit too much.  Maybe stepping on that lower vocal octave a bit too? The bass might be a touch too heavy in the chorus also. I get it that we want the chorus to be a bit bigger, however I think there is enough going on with the arrangement to keep listener interest, compared to the verses, without having to do too much.  You can always push things out to the sides a bit, to clear out the middle, and keep things out of the way of the vocal a little more.

What do you think?

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you might be able to do something with the ending?

Thank you for all the tips! I went back and tried to fix everything you mention, plus did a few more touch ups to it Smile
Hi!

Just given it a few plays through.

Yeah - V2 is much better. For me the vocal is sitting just that little bit better now, and things aren't getting in the way of each other at the more busier sections now.

I note the bass is much more controlled now and no longer kind of 'blooming' over everything as such, if that makes sense? I notice you've managed to give some low end weight to it too at the same time.

I like the ending you did too!

Nice job!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(07-05-2021, 09:44 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Just given it a few plays through. 

Yeah - V2 is much better.  For me the vocal is sitting just that little bit better now, and things aren't getting in the way of each other at the more busier sections now. 

I note the bass is much more controlled now and no longer kind of 'blooming' over everything as such, if that makes sense?  I notice you've managed to give some low end weight to it too at the same time. 

I like the ending you did too!

Nice job!

Cheers!
Thank you for reply! Yeah that makes complete sense about the bass. It was very big loose and blurry. I shaped it out more and HP filtered it kinda high so it wasn't so overwhelming, added low harmonics back in under 50hz, and compressed it with an aggressive opto style that pushes it nicely in I think. I also lastly added a SC compressor from the first track made the bass on the kick way better. Smile
Interesting! You really threw everything at it!

I did consider side-chaining from the first track, but I figured using a volume envelope filter would be better than using the loop, to duck for the kick. I ended up just using eq+comp in the end as I thought it was just about ok with where I got to.

Sometimes I do like to add just a touch of multi-band comp on the low end too. but haven't felt the need to do that either much recently. The main problem I find with bass is levelling out all the notes, so none poke out too much. The bass was really even in this session and wasn't a problem in that regard. Sometimes I find myself going through and automating individual notes.....

Cheers!
version 2 is definitely an improvement. good job!
RICKY LEGEND