Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Nearly There'
Just a short mix of this great song. Let me know your opinions! Smile

Version 2 - Complete different approach. Focused more on the mid to side relationships Smile

.mp3    Nearly ThereV1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.19 MB)

.mp3    Nearly Therev2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

Hi

Nice attempt here.

However, I noticed at couple of things ...

Overall it sounds like something went wrong during the mastering - Signal's way too hot and way too smashed; where did all the transients go?

You've done well with the beat. It feels nice, both sonically as well as energy-wise.

In general your work with the HPF could use some attention; It's way too conservative, and ends up adding nothing but LF-noise.

Your vocal ...
Even though I think I understand the sentiment behind the vocal harmony, I am not a fan. In my mind, a lot of the essence in this genre is ...  "nudity"; no fancy FX or processing. It all comes down to the quality of the raw material. As an engineer you obviously have a few option here and there, but this, you've made, is waaaay over the top.

Nice and creative though. Keep it up
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(27-05-2021, 10:25 AM)Krabbe Wrote: Hi

Nice attempt here.

However, I noticed at couple of things ...

Overall it sounds like something went wrong during the mastering - Signal's way too hot and way too smashed; where did all the transients go?

You've done well with the beat. It feels nice, both sonically as well as energy-wise.

In general your work with the HPF could use some attention; It's way too conservative, and ends up adding nothing but LF-noise.

Your vocal ...
Even though I think I understand the sentiment behind the vocal harmony, I am not a fan. In my mind, a lot of the essence in this genre is ...  "nudity"; no fancy FX or processing. It all comes down to the quality of the raw material. As an engineer you obviously have a few option here and there, but this, you've made, is waaaay over the top.

Nice and creative though. Keep it up
I agree that my first mix was more of a playful one rather than focusing on what the song calls for. I took a completely different approach this time. I only mixed while I went through and solod the lows, low mids, mids, high mids, highs, and also the solo and mid signal and tried to just give this mix the most natural delivery in each band that I could, It was also fun once un-soloing the individual bands and hearing the balance of the song as a whole Smile