Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
"Wickerman" by Eat The Feeder
Hello,

Cool band I think this one is.
At first the track seemed easy to mix, but it wasn't the case. This is not a music style at which I'm particularly good at.
I mostly referenced Alice in Chains old stuff to this, but then I figured Staley AIC was a long time ago Smile , and this band is something different.
13hrs to mix the track.

All right, rock n' roll!

.mp3    Eat The Feeder - Wickerman.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Hey moonchildsong, i like this mix. Transients are well kept and they sound grate. I dont know if it sounds super "analog" with keeping transient upfront like that, i have bad confidence when it comes to transients haha lol. Don't take me wrong its a very nice sounding mix. But to try and find something that could evolve you as mixer might be that, to not make the transients so obvious, feels more like you are listening to the "staleness" of the drums then the grove and the pumping effect from them. I like it though, its very hard to pull of like that, atleast for me. Bass sounds full, would be cool if you had it louder, but i know its very hard not to get everything else blurred since its very well balanced atm. For me guitars could use more warmth, they sound a tiny to nasal for me. It almost feels like this only needs some masteringadressing to get it to its full potential. Thats what i got. Maybe vox are bit dry? but that sounds okay.
Hey .... this is a cool mix I like it and it’s sounds very good . As crownoise mentioned the overall mix is very good unless few things of controlling the GTRs by more working on automation if u like to , and make it bigger or wider . Drums are great I would give the snare more high mid maybe somewhere between 2.5k to 3k .....but it’s really a good mix .. .
Cheers
Thanks for  the comments guys, much appreciated.

Thanks Crownoise for that very detailed reply (I loved it), you said something about vocals being dry, well I thought I do not want to overdo the vox, since all the rest is already heavily processed, and the singer sits nicely between/in front of the band.

gtrs: the rhythm guitar bus is already automated (but could do more to apply more accentuation), and I agree that guitars can use some warming up, and listening to AIC "Dirt" songs - the low-mids are somewhat muddy. That was not the goal on this track, since nowadays rock and metal has evolved to being very sterile. 

P.S. have you heard about Al Schmitt today?
RIP Al Schmitt (1930-2021)
Sincere condolences to his family.
Sad
Did you remaster this? The master sounds really good.

RIP Al Schmitt...
Hey, no not really, left it as is. I was thinking about adding those adjustments, but left the track alone and started to think about the next song.