Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistrusted's Trapped - by mITc
Nothing too difficult here but it had its challenges.

First, the lead vocal had lots of harmonic distortion and level variations going on so the challenge there was to figure out how to use it. Second was, once the lead vocal was placed, where to put the backups.

The drums were nicely recorded and the room tracks provided most of the ambience I needed for the drums. I only added the room and the tambourine into a plate reverb, modestly. Both the kick and snare went through a Neve channel strip with the snare compression on Nuke.

The bass tracks, once aligned, worked nicely into the mix with a pretty standard bass chain. 

Both guitars tracks were pretty dense so I just topped off my guitar buss with a bit of CLA-1176 and an Aphex for clarity. There was a bit of trickery at the front of the song for the guitar intro then the guitars were split with panning to mid left and right respectively to fill the space..

The master buss had my now ever-present TDR Limiter with less than a dB of compression and limiting and capped at -1 db True Peak.

Mastering brought the level to -13.5 LUFS with some sculpting done in the high end for smoothness plus a slight widening of the image.

Mistrusted - Trapped - Compressed
Added compression to this mix matching the pulse of the groove to pump up the drive a bit.

There you have it. Please let me know what you think. As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Mix Well and Master.

Your friend,
mITc

.mp3    Mistrusted - Trapped.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

.mp3    Mistrusted - Trapped - Compressed.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]