Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PH: You Me and the Radio
v1

Fairly happy with this. Feel there is some good energy in places, and like the overall balance. Not too sure about the vocal yet, but don't know what to improve about it.

v2

Taken all the feedback below. Also applied some of Mike's loudness-enhancing secret sauce!

.mp3    You Me Radio v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.79 MB)

.mp3    You Me Radio v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

(18-04-2021, 07:31 PM)Pete Hughes Wrote: Fairly happy with this. Feel there is some good energy in places, and like the overall balance. Not too sure about the vocal yet, but don't know what to improve about it.
Hello Pete Hughes! I think you are presenting a good mix here. The one thing for me is that it sounds a bit less full and the vocal has a bit nasal sound but anyway a good job. Cheers!
Over all not bad. I am a little put off by the size of the snare which seems to take up too much space for the value it offers. Some of your automation decision may also be a bit over done like the bass and the vocal fill. I like the clarity of the vocal. It might benefit with a touch more environment but that is a minor concern. It is well articulated. The early fade at the end is an unexpected approach. I like it better than mine.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Yeah not bad! This mix is really not as easy as it first seems - in my opinion anyway.

Not sure that the snare takes up too much space as such, but I think it could maybe be a shade darker perhaps so it is not fighting with the vocal quite as much maybe, could be it just needs a little less snare bottom.

Yes, maybe the vocal could do with just a little more sense of space (verb) as per Mixinthecloud's thoughts. I wonder if a touch of some parallel compression on the vocal might do the trick.

Can't quite put my finger on it - you've got everything sounding really clear and seperated.... Not sure if adding a little 300Hz ish or so on the master might round the mix out a bit more, and add just a touch more weight to help the mix really gel. Kind of blur the edges a little bit sort of thing?

Yeah, not sure if it just needs a touch more reverb overall... or something like just a little less highpassing on some elements. It's more of an artistic feel thing, rather than a technical thing as such I think. Hard to explain really. The library mix really works together as mix rather than a well sculpted collection of individual parts. Your mix is good, but I feel it somehow needs just a little extra touch of *something* to really pull it all together, nothing major, just a little.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense, or is of any help really, but it is what springs to mind by way of some thoughts and suggestions of things that might be worth trying.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(18-04-2021, 07:31 PM)Pete Hughes Wrote: Fairly happy with this. Feel there is some good energy in places, and like the overall balance. Not too sure about the vocal yet, but don't know what to improve about it.
This sounds pretty good. I would say the drums are where most of the problems lie. In my opinion, they sound decent, but they are unbalanced with the snare being much louder than the kick. Also, they are very dry, compressed, and narrow. That could be what you were going for, though, I’m just pointing it out as this song might benefit from a more live sound. I would also add high end. There seems to be no high end in the drums. Other instruments are pretty good. The keys are a bit more pronounced here and that is fine. Vocal is pretty good, too, though there’s a little bit of a telephone effect with the upper midrange boost.
v2
Taken all the feedback above. Also applied some of Mike's loudness-enhancing secret sauce!

.mp3    You Me Radio v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

Hi,

V2 is better.

All the technical stuff is there to help us convey feeling, emotion, texture, etc too, as well as a good mix!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!